TS McNamara (42) [Avatar] Offline
The publisher informs me that chapter 5 is due to be released to readers very shortly. Exciting! Please add any corrections to the text that you find. Really hoping that you'll enjoy working through the chapter. Do make sure to dig into the source code folder, as it contains a bit of an Easter Egg for MEAP readers.

If you haven't purchased the book yet, you are welcome to read the liveBook text for a preview.
259798 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Just noticed a small typo on page 129, in footnote 7:

Shift op_byte1 left to occupy the left-most buts of the u16
531878 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Tim,
I'm wondering what is the relationship between your CHIP8 CPU emulation and the WebAssembly CHIP8 Emulator at https://github.com/ColinEberhardt/wasm-rust-chip8?

Are you borrowing from each other or from a common original source?

Andrew.
259798 wrote:Just noticed a small typo on page 129, in footnote 7:

Shift op_byte1 left to occupy the left-most buts of the u16

Urgh. I hate these kinds of typos. Thanks for reporting it!
531878 wrote:Hi Tim,
I'm wondering what is the relationship between your CHIP8 CPU emulation and the WebAssembly CHIP8 Emulator at https://github.com/ColinEberhardt/wasm-rust-chip8?

Are you borrowing from each other or from a common original source?

Andrew.

Hi Andrew, no I didn't know of this implementation when I started writing the code example. I actually spent most of my time comparing my results with a Go project that I have forgotten the name of right now.

One of the reasons for choosing CHIP-8, apart from simplicity, was that there are many implementations already. I didn't want to do something completely novel because I thought that readers might enjoy reading more about retro computing and loading up their own ROMs etc.
247493 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Tim,

I'm enjoying the book and I'm learning a lot also, but I'm bit disappointed because in the section "Working with the operating system to scan an address space" the example is based on Windows. I think that an example using Linux will give more value to the book.

Are you planning to add a Linux example?

Thanks for your time,
Jorge

247493 wrote:I'm enjoying the book and I'm learning a lot also, but I'm bit disappointed because in the section "Working with the operating system to scan an address space" the example is based on Windows. I think that an example using Linux will give more value to the book.

Jorge - this makes a lot of sense. I prefer working with Linux anyway. When writing the chapter, I was under some pressure to get the content released. So now that time is less critical for chapter 5, I will try to include it.

Thanks for your question. It's very helpful to know what readers are interested in!