The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

daveharney (15) [Avatar] Offline
Although it was easy to follow this chapter conceptually, coding is definitely a chore. As I read the book, I'm maintaining my own recipe project that partially mirrors the author's project - I try to add some of the functionality discussed in each chapter. In this case, I added the ability to restrict editing a recipe to just the recipe creator. Following the concepts in the book and borrowing code from the sample - it does work - but it's not trivial.

The good news is that this ability to restrict access based on user id is a very useful bit of functionality and well worth learning.

The only small nit I found is the misnaming of the "IsRecipeOwnercs.cs" class - I'm sure the author meant "IsRecipeOwner.cs". However, it doesn't affect the running of the project.
Andrew Lock (51) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Dave,

There's definitely a lot of moving parts when it comes to Authorization. The requirements/policies/handlers approach really comes into its own as your business requirements get more complicated.

Thanks for the file naming issue, I'll get that fixed.

Andrew