ed.wilson (7) [Avatar] Offline
The sidebar in section 4.3 discusses installing Node.js; however, it does not explicitly recommend a minimum release of Node.js to use for the examples to work. Assuming that somebody is installing Node.js for the first time, there is a good chance that they will install a 6.x release and the examples will work. However, a reader could have an older version of Node.js installed and the nodecc example could throw errors.
Andreas Wittig (65) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Ed,

thanks for your feedback.

Our examples are built based on nodejs version 8.

There is a small hint at the beginning of each section/chapter. But Michael and I discussed an approach to clarify the requirement recently.

The sidebar will include the following with the next version: All examples in this book are tested with Node.js version 8.

Andreas
Michael Wittig (96) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Ed,

I added the version hint to the book. I'm not sure when it will be updated in the MEAP but it will be in the final book.

Thanks
Michael
427508 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Just tried to run the S3 Bucket gallery
Received following Error using
node -version

Error occurs opening Webpage on Port 8080
richa@xps8900 MINGW64 ~/gallery
$ node server.js richardm
Server started. Open http://localhost:8080 with browser.
buffer.js:740
throw new Error('Buffer.write(string, encoding, offset[, length]) ' +
^

Error: Buffer.write(string, encoding, offset[, length]) is no longer supported
at Buffer.write (buffer.js:740:11)
at Parser.scanText (C:\Users\richa\gallery\node_modules\mu2\lib\mu\parser.js:67:14)
at Parser.tokenize (C:\Users\richa\gallery\node_modules\mu2\lib\mu\parser.js:32:3smilie
at Object.exports.parse (C:\Users\richa\gallery\node_modules\mu2\lib\mu\parser.js:11:17)
at C:\Users\richa\gallery\node_modules\mu2\lib\mu.js:40:21
at tryToString (fs.js:425:3)
at FSReqWrap.readFileAfterClose [as oncomplete] (fs.js:412:12)

Hi Richard,

are you following the 1st or 2nd edition of our book. If you are reading the 2nd edition of our book please use the source code located at https://github.com/awsinAction/code2. Please note, that we have tested all examples from the 2nd edition of our book with Node.js version 8.

Andreas
427508 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Andreas
Version 2 MEAP of your Book
I'm using version 7 of NODE, didn't see the requirement for NODE version 8.
Thanks
Richard
We have added/improved the hint pointing out that our examples are tested with Node.js 8. But the improvement is not yet published (MEAP). Is the example working on your machine now?