4ward (6) [Avatar] Offline
#1
Great timing to work on a book for 1.3!

What a great idea to do a live auction to showcase the power + relative simplicity of using Phoenix live capabilities through channels &etc.

Are you developing the API chapter along with the channel chapter to be used by web/mobil clients, that would use channels and when presence indicates not connected an app notification gets sent with live bid/auction status etc.

I think it would be great if you are.

A couple of options:

1) Maybe even a collaboration with React Native (still in MEAP) for the mobile side? That could put this combination as the go to reference for the mobile market!

I am currently new with React-Native & Phoenix technologies, but I do have a React Native app that I have pieced together that can talk to the Phoenix channel "room:lobby" from the Phoenix guide for channels working example.

If you have any questions feel free to contact.

2) I would be interested in seeing an iOS client in SWIFT maybe with the help of the author of iOS Development with SWIFT book. It would be an incredible resource to see about working something out along these lines. I've seen some proof of concept presentations of this combination on the web and there is a SWIFT client library for channels.

To your success!
Geoffrey Lessel (8) [Avatar] Offline
#2
4ward wrote:Great timing to work on a book for 1.3!

What a great idea to do a live auction to showcase the power + relative simplicity of using Phoenix live capabilities through channels &etc.


Thanks! I thought it was kind of a fun and somewhat unusual project to tackle.


4ward wrote:
Are you developing the API chapter along with the channel chapter to be used by web/mobil clients, that would use channels and when presence indicates not connected an app notification gets sent with live bid/auction status etc.

I think it would be great if you are.

A couple of options:

1) Maybe even a collaboration with React Native (still in MEAP) for the mobile side? That could put this combination as the go to reference for the mobile market!

I am currently new with React-Native & Phoenix technologies, but I do have a React Native app that I have pieced together that can talk to the Phoenix channel "room:lobby" from the Phoenix guide for channels working example.

If you have any questions feel free to contact.

2) I would be interested in seeing an iOS client in SWIFT maybe with the help of the author of iOS Development with SWIFT book. It would be an incredible resource to see about working something out along these lines. I've seen some proof of concept presentations of this combination on the web and there is a SWIFT client library for channels.

To your success!


The API chapter won't go too much into the actual mobile development part of what you could do with said API. Unfortunately that would be outside the scope of the book. However, the idea would be that using what you learn in the API chapter, you could then take that knowledge, expand it a little bit, and create exactly what you have proposed.

If I remember this by the end of the process, perhaps that could be something I tackle outside the book—maybe on my blog or in a conference talk or video.

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I look forward to further feedback like this.
Mike Over (2) [Avatar] Offline
#3
Are you planning on having some information on authentication in the API chapter? It would be great to have some introduction to something like Guardian for handling/processing JWT's.
419659 (4) [Avatar] Offline
#4
Mike Over wrote:Are you planning on having some information on authentication in the API chapter? It would be great to have some introduction to something like Guardian for handling/processing JWT's.


I second this. Too often, books skip over auth, yet it is one of the most vital pieces of the puzzle... often confusing, and the one thing you cannot get wrong.

Geoffrey Lessel (8) [Avatar] Offline
#5
419659 wrote:
Mike Over wrote:Are you planning on having some information on authentication in the API chapter? It would be great to have some introduction to something like Guardian for handling/processing JWT's.


I second this. Too often, books skip over auth, yet it is one of the most vital pieces of the puzzle... often confusing, and the one thing you cannot get wrong.



To be clear, authentication is definitely covered on the web-facing side. For the API side, I have not yet started on that chapter. It wasn't on my list of things I was going to cover as it had already been covered on the web side, but as I get into the chapter, I'll see if there is a place for it.
301910 (2) [Avatar] Offline
#6
An example of how to integrate an Reactjs/Redux application would be highly appreciated.