David Clinton (55) [Avatar] Offline
I'm working on chapter 15 ("Troubleshooting peripheral devices") right now and discussing the insights
lshw
can provide into your hardware profile. I know that RAM isn't really a "peripheral", but it does illustrate the point nicely:

Suppose you're considering adding extra RAM to a system - perhaps the metrics you gathered back in chapter 13 suggests you're running low. You'll need to know how much you've already got and what kind of RAM it is...not to mention what motherboard you're using so you can research how may RAM slots are available and what their maximum capacity is.

So
lshw -c memory
shows me that my motherboard has four RAM slots, only two of which are currently occupied by 4 GB A-Data DDR3 1600 memory modules. Since, of course, you should avoid installing mismatched memory modules on a single system, this tells me exactly what kind of RAM I should purchase to fill those two empty slots and double my capacity.

But I just couldn't resist taking a moment to gloat about how much you can accomplish on a shoestring when Linux is doing the driving:

I should point out that I have no immediate plans to upgrade my workstation. And why should I? The modest hardware profile I've already got allows me to run multiple VMs while editing and/or encoding a small handful of videos (using Kdenlive) and all while keeping at least one web browser busy with more than a dozen open tabs.

The computer I built from the ground up for less than $300 actually performs significantly better than the $1,000+ rigs used by many of my fellow-course authors at Pluralsight. What's the difference? Those pour souls are feeding their power hungry Windows and macOS operating systems, while I'm using fast and efficient Linux. Take that.