The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

coffee_fan (27) [Avatar] Offline
It is not hard to create it, but for folks that are following along it is one annoyance.
v8 (6) [Avatar] Offline
filterByType method is included in the DesignTacoController source code.
I assume the author didn't include it in the listing as it brings no value for the understanding of the concepts.

private List<Ingredient> filterByType(List<Ingredient> ingredients, Type type) {

return ingredients.stream()
				.filter(x -> x.getType().equals(type))
				.collect(Collectors.toList());

}
habuma (279) [Avatar] Offline
That's right...I left it out of the manuscript because it didn't pertain directly to the subject. It's fairly brief, so I guess I could consider working it in. But for space reasons and subject-focus reasons, I can't practically include *ALL* of the code in the book.
190896 (15) [Avatar] Offline
Agree, I would put it in the book. There's nothing worse than following along and then finding it doesn't compile.
johannkokos (4) [Avatar] Offline
I hope the author mentioned the the function could be found in the source code. A simple note is enough.
409563 (4) [Avatar] Offline
Also these in the same listing:

- `package tacos.web;` should be `package tacos;`
- `import tacos.Taco;` this import cannot be resolved.
CounterClockWise (2) [Avatar] Offline
Listing 2.2 refers to the class Taco; I have not found Taco.java in the pdf, the web site, or the downloaded source code. I created a dummy Taco class (and the filterByType method) to get listing 2.2 to compile.

But then I had trouble running the code; I kept getting obscure Thymeleaf errors when trying to access http://localhost:8080/design. I ended up commenting out these two blocks from Listing 2.3/design.html:

<!--
<span class="validationError"
th:if="${#fields.hasErrors('ingredients')}"
th:errors="*{ingredients}">Ingredient Error</span>
-->
<!--
<input type="text" th:field="*{name}"/>
-->
<!--end::all[] -->
<!--
<span class="validationError"
th:if="${#fields.hasErrors('name')}"
th:errors="*{name}">Name Error</span>
-->

I don't know enough about Spring 5 and Thymeleaf to know whether these go away when Taco.java has the right contents. It is slowing down my learning journey.