The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

423076 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Chapter 5 (page 94) mentions a script to load and pre-process the MNIST dataset. How can I get that script?
475894 (2) [Avatar] Offline
atm there is no script available, but if you want to use mnist in python you can use the python-mnist package or write your own loader
449725 (2) [Avatar] Offline
code.JPG
[ 81 KB ]
The code on page 147 doesn't converge as the author shows, tried multiple weight initialization approaches - nothing even close to what the book shows. Can the author please share how the MNIST data was preprocessed? I created a 1-hot encodding for the target variable, but the results are very low (Correct number of Train predictions is only 9.65% !).

Here's my MNIST preprocessing code, would be great if author shared his code as currently I cannot continue with the other chapters of the book - attached.
Ravi Annaswamy (7) [Avatar] Offline
mnist data values range from 0 to 255 (0 being black pixel, 255 white pixel and inbetween are gray values)

In order to input into the neural network you will have to divide the data by 255 so that each value is in range 0-1

See this notebook below.

There is an excellent cheap introductory book on coding fully connected neural network from scratch
by that author Tariq Rashid available on amazon...

https://github.com/makeyourownneuralnetwork/makeyourownneuralnetwork/blob/master/part2_mnist_data_set.ipynb

Let me know if that helps.
449783 (2) [Avatar] Offline
It's also worth noting that the code in the book currently (as of Dec 16, 2017) has an error in the forward pass for the test set. It is still using relu and it does not use softmax, despite the forward pass just above (for training) using both of those things, which are supposed to improve the network.

This is original code:

for i in xrange(len(test_images)):
layer_0 = test_images[i:i+1]
layer_1 = relu(np.dot(layer_0,weights_0_1)) layer_2 = np.dot(layer_1,weights_1_2)
test_correct_cnt += int(np.argmax(layer_2) == \ np.argmax(test_labels[i:i+1]))

I changed it to this:

layer_1 = tanh(np.dot(layer_0,weights_0_1))
layer_2 = softmax(np.dot(layer_1,weights_1_2))
test_correct_cnt += int(np.argmax(layer_2) == np.argmax(test_labels[i:i+1]))

It improved things.
449783 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Ok, so here's the fully functioning MNIST code I have. It has pre-processing and fixes the test set forward pass bug (see above post).

I was also originally getting terrible results. Turns out it was mostly because of normalization. Anyway, here's what my pre-process steps looked like. Note I'm using keras here. But only cause it already has the MNIST data, and some helpful utils. The actual neural net is (mostly) straight from the book.

def onehot(y):
    return keras.utils.np_utils.to_categorical(y)

from keras.datasets import mnist
(orig_x_train, orig_y_train), (orig_x_test, orig_y_test) = mnist.load_data()

sample_size = 2000
# Reshape (which just flattens the 28x28 arrays) and then normalize the X vars.
orig_x_test_sample = (orig_x_test[:sample_size].reshape((sample_size, 784))).astype(float) / 255
orig_x_train_sample = (orig_x_train[:sample_size].reshape((sample_size, 784))).astype(float) / 255

# One hot encode the Y vars so we can use softmax
orig_y_train_sample = onehot(orig_y_train[:sample_size])
orig_y_test_sample = onehot(orig_y_test[:sample_size])

And here's the actual network

import numpy as np
np.random.seed(1)

def tanh(x):
    return np.tanh(x)

def tanh2deriv(output): 
    return 1 - (output ** 2)

def softmax(x):
    temp = np.exp(x)
    return temp / np.sum(temp, axis=1, keepdims=True)

alpha, iterations, hidden_size = (2, 300, 100) 
pixels_per_image, num_labels = (784, 10) 
batch_size = 100
weights_0_1 = 0.02*np.random.random((pixels_per_image,hidden_size))-0.01 
weights_1_2 = 0.2*np.random.random((hidden_size,num_labels)) - 0.1

images = orig_x_train_sample
labels = orig_y_train_sample
test_images = orig_x_test_sample
test_labels = orig_y_test_sample

for j in range(iterations): 
    correct_cnt = 0
    for i in xrange(len(images) / batch_size):
        batch_start, batch_end=((i * batch_size),((i+1)*batch_size)) 
        layer_0 = images[batch_start:batch_end]
        dropout_mask = np.random.randint(2,size=layer_1.shape) 
        layer_1 *= dropout_mask * 2

for k in xrange(batch_size):
            correct_cnt += int(np.argmax(layer_2[k:k+1]) == np.argmax(labels[batch_start+k:batch_start+k+1]))

layer_2_delta = (labels[batch_start:batch_end]-layer_2) / (batch_size * layer_2.shape[0])
        layer_1_delta = layer_2_delta.dot(weights_1_2.T) * tanh2deriv(layer_1)
        layer_1_delta *= dropout_mask
        weights_1_2 += alpha * layer_1.T.dot(layer_2_delta) 
        weights_0_1 += alpha * layer_0.T.dot(layer_1_delta)
        test_correct_cnt = 0
            test_correct_cnt += int(np.argmax(layer_2) == np.argmax(test_labels[i:i+1]))
    if(j % 10 == 0): 
        sys.stdout.write("\n"+ "I:" + str(j) + " Test-Acc:"+str(test_correct_cnt/float(len(test_images)))+ " Train-Acc:" + str(correct_cnt/float(len(images))))

My last couple outputs:
I:280 Test-Acc:0.856 Train-Acc:0.922
I:290 Test-Acc:0.8585 Train-Acc:0.9205
Andrey C. (14) [Avatar] Offline
Thank you guys for support, I've got the same problem ... I wonder when the author is going to react and fix it, the problem has been around already since september (at least 3 months), that's really bad attitude! I slowly have my doubts that the book is going to be ready on time ...