The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Billy Donahue (4) [Avatar] Offline
In Sec 5.1.1 (draft v4), "Objects and memory locations":

"Note how the zero-length bit field bf3 separates bf4 into its own memory location."

The C++ standard [class.bit]/p2 only grants this property to unnamed bit fields, so a bitfield named bf3 wouldn't do this.

"As a special case, an unnamed bit-field with a width of zero specifies alignment of the next bit-field at an allocation unit boundary."

The 'bf3' field should be unnamed to accomplish the alignment. Maybe comment out the name?

You also show bf3 taking up a memory location, which doesn't seem right to me. I think 0-length bf's are meant as just an enforced boundary, but without their own storage.
anthony.williams (216) [Avatar] Offline
Billy Donahue wrote:In Sec 5.1.1 (draft v4), "Objects and memory locations":

"Note how the zero-length bit field bf3 separates bf4 into its own memory location."

The C++ standard [class.bit]/p2 only grants this property to unnamed bit fields, so a bitfield named bf3 wouldn't do this.

[intro.memory]p3:

"A memory location is either an object of scalar type or a maximal sequence of adjacent bit-fields all having
nonzero width."

Thus, a zero-width bit-field splits memory locations.

Billy Donahue wrote:
"As a special case, an unnamed bit-field with a width of zero specifies alignment of the next bit-field at an allocation unit boundary."

The 'bf3' field should be unnamed to accomplish the alignment. Maybe comment out the name?

You also show bf3 taking up a memory location, which doesn't seem right to me. I think 0-length bf's are meant as just an enforced boundary, but without their own storage.

The unnamed bit-field alignment is a separate effect. Yes, you are right, bf3 isn't a memory location, as it's zero width.
Billy Donahue (4) [Avatar] Offline
anthony.williams wrote:
Billy Donahue wrote:In Sec 5.1.1 (draft v4), "Objects and memory locations":

[intro.memory]p3:

"A memory location is either an object of scalar type or a maximal sequence of adjacent bit-fields all having
nonzero width."

Thus, a zero-width bit-field splits memory locations.

Billy Donahue wrote:

The unnamed bit-field alignment is a separate effect. Yes, you are right, bf3 isn't a memory location, as it's zero width.

Thanks for the very enlightening discussion! I should have pulled a longer quote from the C++ spec!

from [class.bit]/p2:
"As a special case, an unnamed bit-field with a width of zero specifies alignment of the next bit-field at an allocation unit boundary. Only when declaring an unnamed bit-field may the value of the constant-expression be equal to zero."

So, it looks like you're correct that "a zero-width bit-field splits memory locations". But this final sentence states that such memory-location-splitting zero-length bitfields must be unnamed.
anthony.williams (216) [Avatar] Offline
Billy Donahue wrote:
from [class.bit]/p2:
"As a special case, an unnamed bit-field with a width of zero specifies alignment of the next bit-field at an allocation unit boundary. Only when declaring an unnamed bit-field may the value of the constant-expression be equal to zero."

So, it looks like you're correct that "a zero-width bit-field splits memory locations". But this final sentence states that such memory-location-splitting zero-length bitfields must be unnamed.

Well spotted. And just in time to fix it before the 2nd edition goes to press too.

Thanks.