Andrew Betts (15) [Avatar] Offline
Is this just someone reading the Grokking Algorithms book into a video?

I've watched the first couple videos and that's all it really feels like. The person reading seems to have little to no expression mostly staring straight at the camera. I'm hoping since this is a MEAP that there will be a chance to redo some of the videos for better presentation. But I worry a bit with this being video over text that redoing things may be very low on the priority list. Redoing text is just a new edit pass, redoing video can have quite a bit of extra time involved.
Beau Carnes (4) [Avatar] Offline
This series is based on the book Grokking Algorithms so there is a lot of similar content. However, there are all new projects and videos to introduce those projects. Some have been created but they have not yet been added to the MEAP. Stay tuned!

Do you have any specific suggestions on improving the videos?
KKhosla (4) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I do agree after watching this video course instead of spending $39.99 I should have opted for $9 liveBook audio. I don't have a CS background and If the author tries to tell it more clearly how to do the math in case of Simple Search and Binary Search Conclusion. Like how many guesses for 4 million records with Simple Search and Binary Search etc and not just entirely skip parts by giving Khan Academy link like in the book.

I will really appreciate in case the author reworks on the Big O notation video and add Math that is easy to understand on how 100 items takes 100 Guesses in case of Simple Search and 7 guesses in case of Binary Search and for 4 millions records how many guesses Simple and Binary Search will take and how to do that math faster.

In case of Traveling Salesperson how 5 routes can have 120 permutations and 6 routes have 720 permutations no math explanation just book copy/paste and how to reach that result? Nothing? I have not seen all the videos yet so can't comment on the rest of the course yet but surely ask for more explanations in case I find it unclear or simple copy/paste of text to speech thingy won't work for me.

Thanks,
Karan
Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully the course will be fully released by next month and there will be extra resources not found in the original book. Let me try to clarify some of the things you asked about and maybe it will make it into the next version.

It sounds like you were wondering how to calculate the number of guesses required in the worst case for simple search and binary search if you have 4,000,000,000 items. With simple search, the number of guesses is simply equal to the number of items. That's pretty easy. 4 million items is 4 million guesses. Binary search is a little trickier. With binary search, after every guess, you divide the number in half. You keep doing that until the number left is one.

It's simpler to explain using 16 items instead of four million, but the concept is the same.

16 / 2 = 8 (first guess)
8 / 2 = 4 (second guess)
4 / 2 = 2 (third guess)
2 / 2 = 1 (fourth guess)

So with 16 items, you need 4 guesses for binary search and 16 guesses for simple search. Understanding logarithms can make this easier (since log 2 of 16 equals 4) but it is not required to understand the concept. That is why I did not go into more detail about logarithms in the course.

For the traveling salesperson problem, you ask why 5 routes have 120 permutations and 6 routes have 720 permutations. It is because five factorial is 120 and six factorial is 720. Factorial means multiplying an integer with all the integers below it. Here's is an example:
Five factorial (written like "5!") means 1 * 2 * 3 * 4 * 5 = 120
Six factorial (written like "6!") means 1 * 2 * 3 * 4 * 5 * 6 = 720

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Beau Carnes wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully the course will be fully released by next month and there will be extra resources not found in the original book. Let me try to clarify some of the things you asked about and maybe it will make it into the next version.

It sounds like you were wondering how to calculate the number of guesses required in the worst case for simple search and binary search if you have 4,000,000,000 items. With simple search, the number of guesses is simply equal to the number of items. That's pretty easy. 4 million items is 4 million guesses. Binary search is a little trickier. With binary search, after every guess, you divide the number in half. You keep doing that until the number left is one.

It's simpler to explain using 16 items instead of four million, but the concept is the same.

16 / 2 = 8 (first guess)
8 / 2 = 4 (second guess)
4 / 2 = 2 (third guess)
2 / 2 = 1 (fourth guess)

So with 16 items, you need 4 guesses for binary search and 16 guesses for simple search. Understanding logarithms can make this easier (since log 2 of 16 equals 4) but it is not required to understand the concept. That is why I did not go into more detail about logarithms in the course.

For the traveling salesperson problem, you ask why 5 routes have 120 permutations and 6 routes have 720 permutations. It is because five factorial is 120 and six factorial is 720. Factorial means multiplying an integer with all the integers below it. Here's is an example:
Five factorial (written like "5!") means 1 * 2 * 3 * 4 * 5 = 120
Six factorial (written like "6!") means 1 * 2 * 3 * 4 * 5 * 6 = 720

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks for the explanation. I'm able to figure the questions that I asked you above after reading from Khan Academy and other references I encountered on Google (at least I spend time to find answers or able to find the answers out that others might still be struggling with).

The intentions to ask such questions is to let you know that there are areas that you covered in the video as they're in the book (Copy/Paste) instead of explaining the bits and pieces that the Grokking Algorithms Book Author (Aditya Y. Bhargava) skipped it or have not gone into the details or couldn't be conveyed in writing or due to some other limitations but a Video course based on the same book can cover or dive into details for people with no CS experience/background to get comfortable with or there maybe others like me that have bought or will buy this course in the future to say that this course is much elaborate version of the Book and answers almost all questions that book didn't answer and money worthy.

It will be great If you add example in Recursion topics with debugger on to show what you show in the images in Recursion how things are working in bit more details that way people will be able to get comfortable with a lot more than just images in the video. You could add more examples on each topics than the ones that are already available in the book and could add different perspectives or have sections at the end of videos to tell If a person is Non-CS background what places to refer for them to get comfortable with topics that are not covered in book or in this course.

At least my intentions is to get the elaborate answers to questions on how you reach from Point A to Point B like Traveling Salesperson like 5 routes, 120 permutations until I know it's done using factorial that's not answered in the book neither in the video course.

You also mentioned that the course will be fully released next month does that mean there will be no addition or modifications done to this course thereafter? As I feel at least this should not be the case until there will be no questions anyone have and are still unanswered.

Thanks!!
When I said the course would be fully released I just meant that all the planned content will be available. There is still a possibility of updating the course. I will consider your suggestions for any updates. Also, maybe we should update the description so people are not surprised that the course covers most of the same content as the book.
Beau Carnes wrote:When I said the course would be fully released I just meant that all the planned content will be available. There is still a possibility of updating the course. I will consider your suggestions for any updates. Also, maybe we should update the description so people are not surprised that the course covers most of the same content as the book.

Yes. My expectations are the same from this course [Irrespective of the fact the description needs to be modified or not] but Copy/Paste ONLY the book content in the video will not justify the course until or unless as I mentioned to elaborate the things that book didn't cover in details like giving Point A than Point Z straight away not care to cover in between points and took shortcuts due to some limitations. I think covering such book shortcoming in this course will only make this course valuable for anyone who buys the course in the first place.
520531 (1) [Avatar] Offline
so...when is the course gonna be finished?
179669 (1) [Avatar] Offline
I did not purchase a copy of the book and have been relying solely on the videos as a refresher. Contrary to what others have said, I did find the content interesting and engaging. That said, can we get an ETA for when the rest of the videos will be online?