Jamie Duncan (14) [Avatar] Offline
Hi, everyone.

Appendix A, where we walk through installing OpenShift Origin on top of CentOS, was based on OpenShift Origin version 3.5.

The installer for version 3.6 has some pretty big changes, and it won't work as the appendix is currently written. We're working now on updating this to work for 3.6 and will update it here as soon as we can verify we have it bullet-proof.

Thanks,

Jamie & John
436511 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Could you specify in which way the installation process changed on Openshift Origin 3.6? I'm planning to install Openshift Origin 3.6 and I'd like to know how to face that goal. Thanks
Sure!

The primary change is that the interactive installer doesn't have an 'Origin' installation option. The interactive installer will be phased out, eventually, I'm told. That means you have to go with an advanced install (https://docs.openshift.org/latest/install_config/install/advanced_install.html#configuring-ansible).

Going through those docs, I came across an issue with how to specify an Origin install and filed a bug, https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1486981. The bug references the mailing list thread with all of the details.

Let us know if you run into any issues, and we'll help as best we can!

-OiA
477385 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hello,

I'm curious if this is going to be updated soon by chance? I'd like to run through the installation in the recommended manner in order to start tackling the current chapters.

Not knowing specifically what you're looking for in the Ansible configuration leaves much to the imagination smilie.

Thanks,
-Dan S
Yes!

The updated installation appendix should be in the next MEAP update, which we submitted early last week. It will also include chapter 4, and several additional updates as we've continued to work on the content.

-jamie
48881 (3) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

Installation won't work with 0.0.0.0 as a DNS server (figure A.7)
In my installation (vmware), I used a personalized NAT network so the DNS IP is the same as the Gateway IP (192.168.122.2).

Regards
48881 wrote:
Installation won't work with 0.0.0.0 as a DNS server (figure A.7)

Oups. I didn't see the Note in A.1 section about 8.8.8.8 (and not 0.0.0.0). Sorry.
no worries!

DNS is consistently a huge challenge for any container platform. OpenShift actually runs dnsmasquerade on each node, and the configuration is set when you deploy your cluster. There are advanced configurations to handle HTTPS proxies, and a lot of other conditions.

-jamie
Hello,

Right now I'm blocked it the atomic-openshift-installer. In play 17/34 (see below)
Maybe a DNS issue because I see this line in journalctl -xe :
Oct 08 16:59:04 ocp-1.192.168.122.100.nip.io openshift[55081]: grpc: addrConn.resetTransport failed to create client transport: connection error: desc = "transport: dial tcp: lookup ocp-1.192.168.122.100.nip.io on 192.168.122.2:53:....

I will investigate...

By the way the options "-u -c ..." have to be first so the command ligne should be :
atomic-openshift-installer -u -c /root/installer.cfg.yml install --force

Regards,
Come.

NB : the error I got
Play 17/34 (Configure masters)
...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................fatal: [192.168.122.100]: FAILED! => {"attempts": 1, "changed": false, "failed": true, "msg": "Unable to start service origin-master: Job for origin-master.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See \"systemctl status origin-master.service\" and \"journalctl -xe\" for details.\n"}

192.168.122.100 : ok=359 changed=23 unreachable=0 failed=1
192.168.122.101 : ok=112 changed=7 unreachable=0 failed=0
localhost : ok=12 changed=0 unreachable=0 failed=0

Installation Complete: Note: Play count is only an estimate, some plays may have been skipped or dynamically added

Failure summary:

1. Host: 192.168.122.100
Play: Configure masters
Task: openshift_master : Start and enable master
Message: Unable to start service origin-master: Job for origin-master.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status origin-master.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

An error was detected. After resolving the problem please relaunch the
installation process.
"transport: dial tcp: lookup ocp-1.192.168.122.100.nip.io on 192.168.122.2:53:.."

It looks like you need to set an upstream DNS server for your host's dnsmasquerade. Right now 192.168.122.2 isn't able to resolve the nip.io domain, which requires a public DNS server to function.

Assuming you have internet connectivity, I think I know what's going on.

One of the things we're working on for OpenShift in Action is an ansible playbook that helps to automate the installation and tasks for each chapter.

It's still _VERY_ early in its development, but I ran into something similar using the CentOS cloud image, but not with the full ISO install. The actual code is at https://github.com/OpenShiftInAction/autoinstaller/blob/master/openshift-common/tasks/CentOS.yaml . If you're not familiar with Ansible, let me know and I can translate. smilie

-jamie