uli_sinn (6) [Avatar] Offline
Maybe this should get a mention earlier in the book, not only at 14.8.1.
I'm a beginner, build failed initially at 1.6.3.

Sincerely,
Ulrich Sinn
Craig Grummitt (44) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Ulrich,
Thanks for the message.

I wanted to show a completed project in chapter 1 so that the reader can get an idea of what one looks like, and what they are headed towards, but I wanted to avoid 'getting into the weeds' too early in the book, discussing dependency managers and Carthage. So, this was a bit of a catch 22 - if the project dependencies needed updating in any way, the reader wouldn't know how to do it. So - my intention is to keep an eye on any issues and do my best to ensure that the project in chapter 1 will build without the need to use Carthage to update it. I have been on vacation for the last few weeks, and appear to have missed an update causing the build to fail. I've updated this now, but still, this won't help you much if you're up to chapter 14 now. Apologies.

Sincerely
Craig Grummitt
333593 (2) [Avatar] Offline
It appears that this is still an issue. I also just cloned the Bookcase project and it failed to build due to a Carthage dependency.

I can surely investigate this and likely resolve the issue. But... yeah, if you are going to put a reference to a resource with instructions to a novice user to build and run the resource, it should probably either just work or have the detail on how to surmount known issues.

Just my $0.02, feel free to disregard it.

I'm enjoying the book so far.

Thanks,
Shawn
Thanks for your $0.02 and very sorry about the problem you're having! I'll look into including solutions to common problems in a future edition.

Would be useful to resolve your specific issue though. Are you using Xcode version 9.2?
333593 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for the prompt feedback! It looks like I'm running Xcode 9.1 (9B55).

I installed Carthage using homebrew and the app build succeeded. If I can provide any other detail don't hesitate to ask.

Be well,
~Shawn
Thanks for the extra info, I'm looking into it.
Hi all, I've removed Carthage from the branches of the Bookcase project that you will be accessing in chapter 1, so you should no longer have any problem with requiring Carthage to run the project.

Thanks again 333593, uli_sinn and supotuco for your feedback.