hettlage (130) [Avatar] Offline
You state in the sidebar at the beginning of Chapter 2

To test whether this code works, you could save it in a .js file, link it to an .html webpage, and run that file in a browser, viewing the results in your browser’s inspector window. With Node.js, you get immediate satisfaction by running JavaScript files directly in terminal.

It would be great if you could also discuss unit testing (and maybe even end-to-end testing). Of course this may not be a topic for Chapter 2, but I think the book will greatly benefit if you explain (automated) testing of the concepts you introduce.
TheWexler (39) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks. Testing is definitely up for discussion. The goal of this book is to get into web development with Node.js from the ground up. While I'd advocate for testing wherever possible, the book intends to propel new developers in Node.js and web development in general to quickly build an application - not to get bogged down with testing frustrations. If I end up not incorporating any testing in this book I'll be sure to include it in the next version. If demand is high, I'll introduce testing early on and add some sample tests to run alongside the code examples throughout the book.
TheWexler (39) [Avatar] Offline
Just getting back to you on this comment. We've since added a section about testing in the final unit of this book. Let me know if you have any thoughts on that content!