Susan Harkins (406) [Avatar] Offline
Please post errors found in the published version of Learn Amazon Web Services in a Month of Lunches here. If necessary, we'll publish a comprehensive list for everyone's convenience. Thank you.

Susan Harkins
Errata Editor
504077 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Is this a typo?
https://livebook.manning.com#!/book/learn-amazon-web-services-in-a-month-of-lunches/chapter-14/v-6/point-150-2-2-0

in the above paragraph, shouldn't the chapter number referenced be #13 instead of #12?
David Clinton (91) [Avatar] Offline
Is this a typo?
504077 wrote:https://livebook.manning.com#!/book/learn-amazon-web-services-in-a-month-of-lunches/chapter-14/v-6/point-150-2-2-0

in the above paragraph, shouldn't the chapter number referenced be #13 instead of #12?

Hi,
I was actually referring to the section "12.6.1 Launching a new EC2 instance using the CLI" - which is in chapter 12. While it's true that chapter 13 dealt with the theory of elasticity, but I showed one practical application of it back in chapter 12.
Regards,
522615 (1) [Avatar] Offline
60 - 5 20 GB of storage (also in the image on the next page)
66 - 4.9 - using a MySQL client on a remote computer your AWS instance in the same VPC (you won't be able to reach it from any other remote computer since it won't be in the same VPC).
66 - 4.9 - The syntax for "connect to it" (the RDS MySQL database) is difficult to figure out. Please add this:
"mysql -h wordpressdb.********.us-east-1.rds.amazo­naws.com -P 3306 -u wpuser -p"
77 - 5.3.1 - Bbootstrap-health-check (lower-case)
78 - shutdown the instance from the EC2 console sudo mv test.html test.html.backup is much simpler to do/undo (in my mind).
78/79 - Please mention that AWS sends an email requiring you to confirm the address before it will send the email alerts.
82 - (Please confirm I am correct) Please add "go back into Route 53 and delete your hosted zone before the 12-hour free period ends".
91 - Please add "Copy any video file to your S3 bucket. Click 'make public' on the video file."
91 - Please add "(If you haven't already) fill in and submit the form at 'your_instance'/wp-admin/insta­ll.php to finish installing WordPress and then log in. From the wp-admin dashboard, click 'Posts', then 'Edit' the 'Hello world!' post. Then click the 'insert link' icon."
107 - $ sudo tar czf ... (otherwise I get "Cannot open: Permission denied" on /etc files).
107 - Please add "the tar messages 'file changed as we read it' and the final 'Exiting with failure status due to previous errors' are OK".
108 - The AWS CLI install script calls python, but there is only a command called python3 in the standard Ubuntu AMI. To create a "python" command, use a link to python3: sudo ln /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/python
An alternate would be to edit the first line of the install script to say python3: nano ./awscli-bundle/install (Both ways work, I don't know which is better.)
(Creating an alias (alias python=python3) for command-line use will NOT work.)
109 - then select My Security Credentials
110 - please add (whatever is appropriate) of the following:
To delete WordPress (you won't need it again in this course) (Yes, it is much safer and cleaner to delete the EC2 instance and recreate it without WordPress):
Connect to MySQL on the RDS instance from the EC2 instance (mysql -h wordpressdb.********.us-east-1.rds.amazo­­­naws.com -P 3306 -u wpuser -p)
show databases;
drop database wordpressdb; (The WordPress database is now gone.)
exit (This will close your connection to the RDS instance.)
# Now clean up the MySQL database on EC2 (that you copied to the RDS instance).
mysql -u wpuser -p
drop database wordpressdb;
exit
sudo systemctl stop apache2 (Stop Apache which runs WordPress.)
# These instructions do not remove the files from the "sudo wget" wordpress..., nor the files copied to /var/www/html.

If you decide to keep WordPress running, please add some security. I think WordPress sites are the most-hacked targets in the entire internet right now.

(This is all my errata through Ch. 7.)
522615 wrote:60 - 5 20 GB of storage (also in the image on the next page)
66 - 4.9 - using a MySQL client on a remote computer your AWS instance in the same VPC (you won't be able to reach it from any other remote computer since it won't be in the same VPC).
[...]

I'm going to have to work through these notes carefully and then pass them on to Susan Harkins.
I really appreciate your work on this!
Misa (43) [Avatar] Offline
There's a fairly significant error in the Appendix that will (only) affect Windows users using PuTTY. This sentence is on page 292 is incorrect:

Because the instance you’re running on AWS is an Ubuntu server, Host Name is ubuntu.

That won't work. The host name should be something like ubuntu@54.152.9.184 but replace that IP address with the one shown in the IPv4 Public IP field on your Launch Instance screen.

That issue apart, thanks for an excellent book.
Hi,
Thanks for this Misa. You're absolutely correct!
We'll make sure that's added to the errata.
David
David M. Karr (83) [Avatar] Offline
Safari version: figure 5.4 (record set administration page) is nonexistent. The caption is there, but there's no figure or picture.

Same with figure 5.5 (5.3 and 5.6 are fine).
377188 (1) [Avatar] Offline
On page 230, in the 2nd paragraph, of eBook version of Learn AWS in a Month of Lunches, there is a small but personally I think a sort of significant typo:

"By default, HTTP uses port 80, and HTTP uses port 443."

should be

"By default, HTTP uses port 80, and HTTPS uses port 443."

Susan Harkins (406) [Avatar] Offline
A comprehensive errata list for Learn Amazon Web Services in a Month of Lunches is available at https://manning-content.s3.amazonaws.com/download/3/26d80e2-8829-4792-9c39-42d479f64592/Clinton_LearnAWSMOL_err3.html.
Thank you for participating in the collection process. Your contributions are a great help to us and other readers.

Regards,
Susan Harkins
Errata Editor
501197 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Thank you, 522615! The corrections for 60 and 66 helped me tremendously - I was going crazy!