Sumant Tambe (17) [Avatar] Offline
I thought the memoize_helper template is too complicated and might detract the readers from considering/using memoization. There're alternative simpler implementations of the idea. What do you think of http://cpptruths.blogspot.com/2012/01/general-purpose-automatic-memoization.html
Ivan Cukic (99) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Sumant,

Thanks for the link. I'll be putting it in the 'futher reading' section as the alternative implementation.

While it does make some things simpler, I'm not very fond of using `std::function` and static maps for this.

The reason why I went for the solution presented in the book is that it uses only the things I covered in the book before - function objects, thread-safe const call operator, etc.

Cheers,
Ivan

p.s. Cool idea adding the Cache::RECLAIM. smilie
Sumant Tambe (17) [Avatar] Offline
At the risk of annoying you, I want to mention that the approach can be simplified that does not use std::function or static maps. The new approach still depends on static state that is well encapsulated. On the plus side, the implementation fits in 20 lines code. Here's live code: https://wandbox.org/permlink/3Qu57z15xMBRVijR

Thoughts?
Ivan Cukic (99) [Avatar] Offline
> At the risk of annoying you

No risk of that - I love useful contributions. If KDE users were as helpful when reporting bugs, my life would be much better smilie

> I want to mention that the approach can be
> simplified that does not use std::function or static maps.

I like this one much better than the previous solution.

As far as the implementation goes, I would make the call operator `const`. Memoization is an implementation detail, and the absence of `const` hints that something is being mutated while it should not - fib is a pure function. This would also need the recursive mutex to guard the changes.

The reason I am not fond of the `static` part is that it reuqires manual memory management. Namely, the user of the function needs to remember to call the `STATIC_MEMOIZER_CLEAR`. The non-static version clears up the cache as soon as the function object gets destroyed.

Now, I'm not saying that static cache does not have its advantages, and that I would not use it in my own code to have a greater control over the cache, but I'm trying to advocate safety before control.

Can you add this solution to your blog post for completeness? I think it is quite beneficial as the "further reading".