214176 (2) [Avatar] Offline
So can you confirm that the book will cover .NET Core 2.0 by release time before I purchase the MEAP full package?

Orgbrat
Dustin Metzgar (23) [Avatar] Offline
Yes, the book has been updated for .NET Core 2.0. Including a chapter I had to completely rewrite because they're using msbuild instead of project.json. Since .NET Core is currently in preview 2, we should have final bits soon but I don't expect many changes. Mostly version numbers in the code samples.
BobCochran (86) [Avatar] Offline
Some of the Listings early in the book make me think you have more work to do in terms of covering .NET Core 2.0. For example Listing 2.18 seems to be referencing a `bin/Release/netcoreapp1.1/publish' path, and Listing 2.15 a <TargetFramework> of netcoreapp2.0...of course, I'm a mere beginner, that is why I purchased your book. So my perceptions could be wrong.

Thanks a ton

Bob
Your perception is accurate Bob. Sorry about that. When they update the MEAP, they don't update all the chapters since it's a bit resource intensive. We have some edits/reviews to go through before the chapters are final. Once they're final, we'll get those posted in a MEAP update.

In the meantime, you can get the code for the chapters here: https://github.com/dmetzgar/dotnetcoreinaction
BobCochran (86) [Avatar] Offline
Dustin Metzgar wrote:Your perception is accurate Bob. Sorry about that. When they update the MEAP, they don't update all the chapters since it's a bit resource intensive. We have some edits/reviews to go through before the chapters are final. Once they're final, we'll get those posted in a MEAP update.

In the meantime, you can get the code for the chapters here: https://github.com/dmetzgar/dotnetcoreinaction

Thank you, Dustin. I'm just starting to play with your book -- specifically from Chapter 2 -- using Net Core 2.0 on Mac OS X 10.12.6. I'm starting work on exercise 2.5. Later on I hope to try this out on Fedora Workstation 26. Also perhaps some Docker containers, too, even though I need Docker training. It's amazing how much there is for me to learn.

Bob
John DeHope (5) [Avatar] Offline
I just wanted to say thank you, I'm looking forward to .net 2.0 and this book helping me get there. I appreciate you going back and updating it.
Oh and one quick question. Is the new asp.net 2.0 content going to include Razor Pages? Just curious. I know it's an entirely new feature that just dropped. So if the answer is no, that's totally cool.
There is another book that goes more deeply into ASP.NET Core. I only introduce ASP.Net Core since Andrew's book is able to go into way more detail than I can.
Doh! I'm an idiot. Obviously that's a pretty specific asp topic. Thanks.