TS McNamara (25) [Avatar] Offline
This forum is the primary place to ask questions about the book and to offer suggestions about improvements.

Still, if you would like to chat to the author in a less formal--or less public--manner, there are plenty of other options:

• send me a private message or email

• connect with me on Twitter, LinkedIn, Reddit or the Rust users' forum

• I maintain a technical blog at http://always-learning.timmcnamara.nz/ that you're also welcome to explore.

The book now has a Facebook page that will be used for updates if you want to monitor the book's progress: https://fb.me/rustinaction
    500923 (1) [Avatar] Offline
    I'm loving this book, Tim! I love the hands on approach rather than the feature-by-feature approach in 'The Book'.

My only disappointment is that the completion date is so distant!

This is my first time purchasing a Manning book. Will we get new chapters as you complete them?

Thanks and best,
    500923 wrote:I'm loving this book, Tim! I love the hands on approach rather than the feature-by-feature approach in 'The Book'.

My only disappointment is that the completion date is so distant!

This is my first time purchasing a Manning book. Will we get new chapters as you complete them?

I'm absolutely blown away by this comment. Thank you so much for taking the time to create an account and post a message. It's really quite touching.

It was a big call to go up against a book that's so prominent as "the Book". Manning and I have spent over a year refining early drafts and several iterations of the Table of Contents. Rust in Action is deliberately very different. It isn't seeking to be an authoritative reference textbook, which provides a little more freedom.

Manning has invested a great deal of effort to produce a high quality, compelling book. Each of the chapters is reviewed by a team of about 3 staff (oftentimes it's been more) before hitting external review. It's really nice to hear positive feedback, as it's been quite a process to even get this far. About ~150 pages are just-about-ready to be released.

My personal goal is to be complete by about Feb 2018. However, we want to allow lots of buffer time because a lot of the projects are quite technically challenging. That challenge means that it's possible that we'll encounter errors. What makes things even more challenging is that code needs to refactored for readers with a wide range of programming experience and backgrounds.

You'll certainly be receiving chapters as the project develops. You'll also receive copies of changes to the ones you've already received. I've also left code examples from discarded projects in the code pack for you to dabble with.

Thanks again for the positive feedback, it's tremendously helpful.