200316 (3) [Avatar] Offline
Hello. I am enjoying the book. One thing strikes me as strange is that there is no mention of how we should set up our environment. It seems to be just assumed in chapter 1 and again in chapter 3 that we have tools installed. I understand the volatility of printed instructions for tools, but at a minimum, I would expect a link to where I can find this information.

Chapter 1: "Now that we have gone over what is in the file, let’s run the project in either our iOS simulator or our Android emulator."
Chapter 3: "Let’s go ahead and run our app to see our new Heading and App Layout. This is how our application should now look (figure 3.4)."

What does this mean? Am I to have an emulator installed? I am on Windows, can I run iOS? Does the previous install of react-native have this baked in?
287516 (28) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for the comment and feedback. I think you are right, we should at least add a little more info regarding environment setup. Right now, there are *some* instructions in the appendix, but we could possibly expand them to be more specific.

In the meantime, check out https://facebook.github.io/react-native/docs/getting-started.html -> Building Projects from Native Code to get started.

If you are on Windows, you will not be able to run iOS, only Android, and you will need to install all necessary Android SDKs, which are outlined on the above link.

One thing to keep in mind is that as this library evolves, these setup instructions will be changing as well, so we are trying to walk the line between having as much useful info available to the reader, and having the instructions up to date and current!

Thanks for your time.