BobCochran (86) [Avatar] Offline
Hi!

I'm thinking of buying your MEAP and print book. I have a number of Arduino-compatible Trinket and Trinket Pro devices from Adafruit Industries. Most are on the old side now since I have not purchased from Adafruit in nearly a year. I wonder if JavaScript code will execute on these devices? Will your book be applicable to Arduino-compatible devices (rather than only Arduino-compatible devices or others which might have closed-source hardware content?)

Thanks so much

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA
Lyza Gardner (11) [Avatar] Offline
Hi!

The book covers almost entirely open-source hardware, with the exception of the Raspberry Pi platform (technically not open hardware). The Arduino Uno is the most used dev board in the book—the first 7 chapters explore electronics fundamentals through a Johnny-Five-controlled Arduino Uno. Other boards in the book include the Tessel 2, Kinoma Element, Espruino Pico, BeagleBone Black and Espruino Puck.JS.

The Adafruit Pro 5V (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2000) may well work with the Arduino Uno examples, with the caveat that I have not tried this myself. The Trinket Pro has an ATMega 328P microcontroller, which is the same as the Uno's. I have read that these boards do fine running Firmata (you'll need to flash the device with StandardFirmataPlus for the book examples; details are in the book itself). Some things to keep in mind:

* You'll need a 5V device (not a 3.3V)
* Other smaller (non-Pro) trinkets probably won't work
* You can't use async/TTL serial over the USB connection. You can upload code over USB, but to use UART serial you'd need an FTDI cable (serial is covered in chapter 7)
* Some of the pins are unavailable so you might have to remap pins in examples in a couple of instances
* Total output current is lower than the Uno; don't try to run a micro-servo off of this board (chapter 6)

Those are the things I can think of! There might be other things that come up...

In summary: if you feel confident and are willing to Google things when they don't quite work or need adjustment to work on the Trinket, I'd say go for it! If you feel like you're in a beginner stage where it might slow you down to have to figure out, when things go wrong, if it's trinket-specific or not, then I'd recommend buying an Arduino Uno R3.

Does that help?

Cheers,
Lyza