The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

digifer (10) [Avatar] Offline
List 6.21, race_condition.nim, always seems to produce the correct value on Windows, when I compile using the release flag.

I suspect that the race condition is optimized out of existence, but haven't understood the generated c code well enough to be sure. I have not tried other platforms either.

I would suggest emphasizing that it needs to be built without the release flag for the effect to show up.
dom96 (75) [Avatar] Offline
Thank you for reporting this.

Sadly I think we're too far into the development process of this book to modify chapter 6. Hopefully it won't confuse anyone too much.
I reproduced the bug due to the race condition even in release. I got 10000 instead of the expected 20000.

The loop in c is actually just a faithful translation of the nim loop. So what I suspect is happening is that the incrementing loop is compiled out of existence by the c compiler, so it becomes simply
counter += 10000

This would explain the behaviour, as the increment is of course not atomic. And the behaviour is obviously rare, because you only have a tiny chance of collision when the increment is only done once.
Thanks for the reply, Dominik!

I understand it might be too late, but I would just suggest the following change on bottom of page 189:
"Save listing 6.21 as race_condition.nim , then compile and run it."
instead becomes
"Save listing 6.21 as race_condition.nim , then compile it without the -d:release flag and run it."

This will give the reader a hint about how this works if they then try it with the release flag.

Or possibly
"Save listing 6.21 as race_condition.nim , then compile it without the -d:release flag and run it. We skip the release flag so that the compiler does not do optimizations that might affect the example"
dom96 (75) [Avatar] Offline
I will send this to my editor and see what can be done smilie