The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

kb0000 (9) [Avatar] Offline
The (two) "Important" boxes in section 4.7 mention that the words metric and measure have precise meanings and that they should not be confused with the words distance, score, or length. However, the preceding block of text appears to use the following terms interchangeably:

• Distance measures
    distances
    cosine distances

• In one case, the preceding text clearly contradicts the note by conflating measures and scores:

Distance measures are often computed from similarity measures (scores)...

Beyond having a specific example of what a distance vs a metric is, which would help the reader follow the "Important" box's admonition, the preceding text should obey the recommended usage.
    hobs (58) [Avatar] Offline
    Very good point. I need to follow my own advice and be more careful about how I use those terms.