Juan Picado (15) [Avatar] Offline
The downside with products like these is that you typically have to build things with a bit more structure. For example, until recently, App Engine only supported Java, Python, PHP and Go, which meant if you were building apps using Node.js, App Engine wasn’t an option.

I think Node.js is already supported.

https://cloud.google.com/nodejs/getting-started/hello-world

JJ Geewax (8) [Avatar] Offline
Node.js isn't supported for AppEngine Standard. Anything is technically supported with AppEngine Flex, which looks a lot more like a bunch of VMs.
But still, this books is about Google Cloud Platform, that includes the console. The console supports node, this books should reflected it, the current content is misleading otherwise and looks outdated.
I'll try to make it a bit more clear, but the content is pretty fresh in its phrasing (note the "until recently")...

> For example, until recently, App Engine only supported Java, Python, PHP and Go, which meant if you were building apps using Node.js, App Engine wasn’t an option.

In other words, I read this as... a few months back, GAE only supported a few languages, so at that point, if you had wanted to use Node, GAE wasn't an option.

I'll try using a different example to avoid the confusion.
Cool smilie btw, nice book I cannot stop to read it.
Thanks! And thanks for the feedback. Let me know if you find anything else worth changing!