ying-hui.the@windev.co.uk (47) [Avatar] Offline
When I start visual studio, do new project there are only 3 templates available. All demo videos show at least double that. where do I get them from? They are not available from the on-line templates option.
Jim Bennett (88) [Avatar] Offline
That doesn't sound good. Can I have a bit more information:

Visual Studio for Mac or Windows?
If windows - which version and which workloads did you install?

Can you send a screenshot of what you do see.
VS2017 Community, but Enterprise(Trial) version has the same issues.
Have reinstalled several times on different machines. 86 and 64 bit. Exactly the same. Preview version of 2017 Enterprise. All the same.

The 86 is Windows10, 64 bit is Windows7;
When you installed VS2017 you would have had to select workloads to install. Which ones did you select - did you select the Xamarin one?

Can you attach a screenshot of the file->new project dialog?
I made a point of selecting every single ting I could in the install.
included the gif in my previous response.
Templates.gif
[ 923 KB ]
Sorry - didn't see the attachment.

That looks like the three options you get when you select Cross-platform. If you select other items in the tree do you see more?

Have you installed the MvvmCross add-in? Does that appear in the tree? I've attached an animated GIF showing what I get when I click around in the tree.
Should I have been looking in a different folder? Well yes there are lots of other templates but not any other Xamarin ones.
Is there some where else I should have been looking?
I want to be able to use a template that allows me to create a project that will target all the usual iOS, Andrord, WindowsPhone, AND Windows Desktop.
i mean i want a Windows10 desktop app as well.
downloaded the MvvmCross and this is what I get when I create a sample project.

=============
Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error The "ResolveLibraryProjectImports" task failed unexpectedly.
System.IO.PathTooLongException: The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.
at System.IO.PathHelper.GetFullPathName()
at System.IO.Path.LegacyNormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck, Int32 maxPathLength, Boolean expandShortPaths)
at System.IO.Path.NormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck, Int32 maxPathLength, Boolean expandShortPaths)
at System.IO.Path.NormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck, Int32 maxPathLength)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
at System.IO.File.Open(String path, FileMode mode)
at Xamarin.Tools.Zip.ZipEntry.DoExtract(IntPtr zipFile, String destinationPath, FileMode outputFileMode, EntryExtractEventArgs args)
at Xamarin.Tools.Zip.ZipEntry.Extract(String destinationDir, String destinationFileName, FileMode outputFileMode)
at Xamarin.Android.Tools.Files.ExtractAll(ZipArchive zip, String destination, Action`2 progressCallback)
at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.ResolveLibraryProjectImports.Extract(DirectoryAssemblyResolver res, ICollection`1 jars, ICollection`1 resolvedResourceDirectories, ICollection`1 resolvedAssetDirectories, ICollection`1 resolvedEnvironments)
at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.ResolveLibraryProjectImports.Execute()
at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute()
at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__26.MoveNext() MvvmCross_Application1.Droid
That error is a Visual Studio path length limit - you'll need to create your project in a path closer to the root of your drive, such as in a folder like c:\projects
483611 (1) [Avatar] Offline
I am suggesting to try "Long Path Tool" program.