The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

179704 (2) [Avatar] Offline
I have a menu where I can select to create/persist a new form similar to the form in Ch. 11. To my menu I have added the option to edit the form. The edit menu link goes to a page that has a populated drop-down/select element populated with forms I can edit. A form is selected, onSubmit an Ajax call is made to retrieve the JSON form data.

Issue: The form data needs to return to the the Form page and not the selectAformToEdit page where the Ajax call origintated.

Solution: Move the <div> with the drop-down/select element to the form page and hide it. From the create/edit menu determine whether to display the new empty form <div> or the selectAformToEdit <div>. If editing a form, retrieve the JSON form data populate the hidden empty form, hide the selectAformToEdit <div> and show the newly populated form <div>.

Question: Is there a better pattern/solution to this scenario?

Thanks for any comments. And thanks for writing the book.
179704 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Anyone who read this and scratched their heads thanks for your time. I've muddled SOCs. At this point I have one form (pure HTML) completed in sections and a menu. Two pages. I knew when I started this project it would not be an SPA, but at best a stack of them. So I just need to add some JSTL to my page and when the page loads (blank or populated) it will still have the desired behaviors. Thanks for letting me think here.