468060 (121) [Avatar] Offline
The book refers to the area where the SVG graphic is displayed as the 'canvas' (e..g., p.24). Given that the <canvas> element is entirely separate from SVG, it might be worth using a different word to avoid confusion.
elijah.meeks (127) [Avatar] Offline
No, I think that's needlessly pedantic.
468060 (121) [Avatar] Offline
I don't think it's pedantic at all. There are two ways of drawing onto web pages, one of which is SVG and the other is <canvas>, and both are unfamiliar to many people. Calling the SVG element a 'canvas' might well cause confusion - particularly since D3 can actually be used to draw to the canvas element. You could call it the <SVG> area, for example.