4959 (9) [Avatar] Offline
I just did an install for wordpress. When I access it from the browser, I get "Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress."

Not being a wordpress expert (or even neophyte), I'm not sure what I need to do here. I did verify that php7.0-mysql was installed.

I did the following:
php -m | grep sql
mysqli
mysqlnd
pdo_mysql

Not sure whether that tells me anything.
David Clinton (46) [Avatar] Offline

Hi,
Try installing the PHP native driver for MySQL using:
apt install php5-mysqlnd

Let me know if that helps...
Unfortunately, that didn't work. I checked and I'm running "Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS" (xenial). if I do a "sudo apt install php5-mysqlnd", I get a " Unable to locate package php5-mysqlnd" message. I searched and there is a php7.0-mysql package, but when I try to load it, it's already loaded.
That might be because Apt needs an update before running apt install:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install php5-mysqlnd

...although, having said that, I'm not 100% sure that's the issue. Try that and see what happens, anyway.
Sorry, but the same result. I updated apt and then made the request for php5-mysqlnd and it says "Unable to locate..."
Ok. I get the problem now. Operating systems using PHP 7.0 no longer work with the MySQL extension, so you should uninstall the old mysql-common package and install mysql-server. Then restart Apache 2. That should do it.

sudo apt remove mysql-common
sudo apt install mysql-server
sudo systemctl restart apache2

I'm definitely going to have to update this in the book.
I now have a Wordpress Welcome page in my browser smilie

Thanks
There's always a solution somewhere... smilie