The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

jreut (1) [Avatar] Offline
Listing 6.8 describes the implementation of `printf`. A `toFormat` helper is defined that recursively converts a `List Char` to a `Format`. The branch that handles literal strings follows:

toFormat : (xs : List Char) -> Format
toFormat (c :: chars) = case toFormat chars of
    Lit lit chars' => Lit (strCons c lit) chars'
    fmt => Lit (strCons c "") fmt

From what I can tell, the rationale behind pattern matching on `toFormat chars` is to fuse consecutive literal characters into one `Lit` type. Without some explanatory text, it took me a few minutes of exploration to figure it out. Of course, I love to figure things out on my own, but this particular confusion seems tangential to the purpose of this chapter.

I found changing some variable names in the expression helped me to understand the intention:

lit : String     -- maybe rename to `str` or `literalString`
chars' : Format  -- maybe rename to `fmt` or `format`

It's a fantastic read so far! Thanks to all involved in the language and this book!
Adam Gashlin (3) [Avatar] Offline
Agreed, when I typed this in I renamed chars' to fmt once I figured out what it was doing.