The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

340732 (3) [Avatar] Offline
Is there a detailed table of contents available? I am curious if there is still going to be "in depth" coverage of the basic facilities of C# (e.g. generics, LINQ, etc) that were developed in earlier versions. The welcome message seems to imply that there will NOT be such coverage, and refers us to the "free" version 3 (which is not available as far as I can tell) to learn more about features that "most developers are now familiar with". I am familiar with them but was hoping to learn more about them "in depth". If these other things are not going to be covered in this 4th edition, perhaps this book should have been called "Volume 2" or something.
jon.skeet (483) [Avatar] Offline
The intention is that there will be a chapter going over the most important aspects of C# 2-4, which should be fine for a reminder of topics you already mostly know, but won't be in nearly as much depth as the the third edition. I don't know at what point the 3rd edition ebook will come with the 4th edition - I can certainly look into that.

The part around async will be primarily the C# 5 material, but updated with the changes to async that have come in C# 6 and C# 7.

I take your point about "volume 2" but I'd also note that it's never been "the whole of C#" in that even the first edition was "what's new in C# 2 and 3" rather than going over C# 1 in detail.
340732 (3) [Avatar] Offline
Ah, perfect. Thanks for responding so clearly, and I look forward to reading more of the MEAP as it becomes available!
Tony King (5) [Avatar] Offline
jon.skeet wrote:The intention is that there will be a chapter going over the most important aspects of C# 2-4, which should be fine for a reminder of topics you already mostly know, but won't be in nearly as much depth as the the third edition. I don't know at what point the 3rd edition ebook will come with the 4th edition - I can certainly look into that.

The part around async will be primarily the C# 5 material, but updated with the changes to async that have come in C# 6 and C# 7.

I take your point about "volume 2" but I'd also note that it's never been "the whole of C#" in that even the first edition was "what's new in C# 2 and 3" rather than going over C# 1 in detail.

I take your point on this though I would say that, until this edition, the books were cumulative which meant I could upgrade and limit the floor-space used on my desk smilie I do understand though that publishing the physical book might be a touch impractical. There is still something to be said for a single volume as the "one place to get the real dirt" (as I have come to call your books). Infeasible from a business perspective but hey, one can only hope.