428149 (29) [Avatar] Offline
This book was supposed to have been published by now. Yet the last four chapters haven't even been written and the text hasn't been cleaned up (and there are a *lot* of things to clear up - missing words, misspellings, wrong code, grammatical mistakes, etc.) Then, when this is done it will have to be printed. This entire process could take another six months. People have bought the MEAP in good faith, expecting a finished product by the date that was promised. I have bought other MEAP books, expecting them to be ready when I needed them.

Who (if anyone) supervises this process?
287516 (45) [Avatar] Offline
Hello!

While we've been doing our best to predict the exact publication date of the book, for a variety of reasons outside of Manning's control, including changes in the authors' lives--professional or personal--as well as other factors including updates to best practices in React and React Native as well as updates to the actual React Native API, the original release date has been pushed back.

We make a lot of effort to keep new chapters flowing, but we appreciate your understanding when delays do occur. The closer a book gets to the end, the more accurate our estimated publication dates tend to become, although delays can occur even in the final stages of production.

The new estimated publication date for this book is mid-December.

I appreciate your your patience and if you have any questions relating to the topics in later chapters I can definitely help you out personally just shoot me an email at dabit3@gmail.com.

Manning is still actively advertising this book with a deadline in March, knowing that it won't be coming out for almost another year. This is dishonest. A month or so would be understandable, but, for many people, a book which arrives almost a year after they need it is useless.

>>for a variety of reasons outside of Manning's control, including changes in the authors' lives--professional or personal--

Manning's responsibility is to its customers. The author is a subcontractor: if he can't deliver, it's the company's job to either find a replacement or to refund its customers.

>>updates to best practices in React and React Native as well as updates to the actual React Native API, the original release date has been pushed back.

Nothing has happened in either React or React Native which would double the time taken to write the book. Moreover, the one significant change which did happen - a change from ES5 to ES6 - wasn't even made until the error was pointed out by a member of this forum. Nobody at Manning knew or cared.

>>We make a lot of effort to keep new chapters flowing

Obviously not. Manning made no effort either to enforce the contract which it had with the author or to honour the one it had made with its customers.

>>The closer a book gets to the end, the more accurate our estimated publication dates tend to become,

And when it's on the shelves, you know for certain that it's been published. But you don't sell published books, you sell MEAPS. People buy these because they trust that the publisher is capable of managing the project and delivering a usable book within the promised dealine. In this case, it clearly wasn't.
I'm sure they will be updating the release date soon.

If you've kept up with React and React Native, you would have understood the breaking changes in the API as well as the updated best practices that have changed over the course of the last year. To keep up with them, we have decided to update older chapters before publishing the hard copy, which set back production time.

Re: a change from ES5 to ES6 , ES6 was actually in the book from day one, you probably missed it.

I would recommend requesting a refund, if you want to send me your contact info to dabit3@gmail.com I will personally send you your money back.
>>I'm sure they will be updating the release date soon.

They should have updated it six months ago rather than dishonestly (and illegally) advertising a book which they couldn't deliver.

>>If you've kept up with React and React Native, you would have understood the breaking changes in the API as well as the updated best practices that have changed over the course of the last year.

This is rich coming from somebody who admits that he learnt about React while he was writing this book. A more likely explanation is that your own understanding of the subject was found to be out of date. This is obviously true in the case of ES5 vs ES6.

The strength of React over the years has been its lack of major breaking changes. I can't think of anything at all which would justify doubling the time taken to write the book. What changes were you thinking of?

>>To keep up with them, we have decided to update older chapters before publishing the hard copy, which set back production time.

The explanation given by the last poster (presumably some kind of editor) that you had personal issues which were taking you away from the writing, is much more plausible.

>>Re: a change from ES5 to ES6 , ES6 was actually in the book from day one, you probably missed it.

Not according to the poster who pointed out that you were using ES5 in most of your examples.

>>I would recommend requesting a refund, if you want to send me your contact info to dabit3@gmail.com I will personally send you your money back.

I wasn't daft enough to buy this MEAP, so I don't need a refund. However, I am angry that I have wasted a considerable amount on other MEAPS which are also lemons. The one hope was that I would at least get books of some kind for my money, even if they weren't very well written or edited. The fact that Manning can't even find authors who are capable of writing to deadlines is another blow.
Ok.
512826 (3) [Avatar] Offline
Dear author, I wonder if the release day will be delayed again. Look forward your news. Happy new year
512826 (3) [Avatar] Offline
It seen to be delayed once more time. So sad and annoy.
MEAP began July 2016 Publication in June 2018
54408 (6) [Avatar] Offline
I think it would be a fair assumption to make that most of people that purchased the book are involved in software development, one way or another. I wonder if any of the people that purchased this MEAP and are upset by the missed target date have ever given their stakeholders an estimated target and been late?

Sometimes, things are harder than you expect, sometimes, other, more pressing issues come up. Manning is giving us all a valuable service by allowing us all to participate in the creation of these books. Would we all be better off if our only option would be the final product?

I have found the information in the chapters provided so far to be a benefit to my work, even if it is not finished or polished.

Thanks Manning for allowing us to peek into the book creation process and give feed back.
468060 (117) [Avatar] Offline
>>I think it would be a fair assumption to make that most of people that purchased the book are involved in software development, one way or another. I wonder if any of the people that purchased this MEAP and are upset by the missed target date have ever given their stakeholders an estimated target and been late?

Not many software developers get away with doing nothing for months at a time.

>> sometimes, other, more pressing issues come up.

But you have to put them to one side because you have a professional commitment and a signed contract which you have to abide by.

>>Manning is giving us all a valuable service by allowing us all to participate in the creation of these books.

The purpose is to improve cash-flow and to get technical editing for free.

>>Would we all be better off if our only option would be the final product?

Absolutely. Because we could have spent our money elsewhere.

>>Thanks Manning for allowing us to peek into the book creation process and give feed back.

What part of the 'book creation process' are you given a peek into? The part that involves doing nothing for two years and taking the money for an unfinished product?
271624 (4) [Avatar] Offline
I bought this book recently, and after peeking at the forums, feel like I've been bamboozled! I'll definitely be checking the forums before buying another MEAP book. Others have been so good, but this one is written so carelessly, coupled with the delayed release is frustrating.