daveharney (12) [Avatar] Offline
Once again, in Chapter 2, I really liked your way of explaining the operation of ASP.Net Core and the basic flow through its component parts. I haven’t found this clarity in other books – especially for my modest skill level.

Of course the obvious suggestion is to quickly update to VS2017 – which will make your book greatly superior to many other Core books currently available. I think the update process will be fairly trivial as your discussion of program.cs, startup.cs and Controller-View haven’t changed in VS2017 – I was looking at a 17 project as I read the chapter and nothing was out of sync other than a few screen shots.

Obliviously, project.json has been replaced with cs.proj but you (wisely) didn’t get into that subject in Ch2 – it just shows project.json and web.config (which is also gone in 17) in the screenshot. You did mention dotnet restore and maybe that needs to be revisited in an update also.

I really liked the pipeline explanation. Although I was vaguely aware of this concept, I really didn’t understand how it worked in Startup.cs. The whole middleware idea is much clearer now.

So, looking forward to new chapters as you roll them out!
463863 (1) [Avatar] Offline
I just bought your book after reading the sample. I love the diagrams in chapter 1. It is the first time I got a clear understanding of the reverse proxy and Kestrel relationship. Very well written, and now I am following chapter 2.
Diogo Kobbi (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi, the only difference between services and middleware is that middleware will be used on http pipeline?
Andrew Lock (25) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Diogo Kobbi,

Actually they are quite different concepts.

Services can be any sort of class in your project. It's an over used phrase, but it could be something you use to convert strings, something for sending requests to an external API, something that reads files from a folder - anything!

In contrast, middleware is a very specific ASP.NET Core component. A middleware component is responsible for receiving a request, and potentially generating a response. I cover middleware in depth in chapter 3 - so let me know if it's still not clear after reading that!

Thanks
Andrew