The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

rachelb (6) [Avatar] Offline
This section is really confusing to me (I have no prior knowledge of HML)

There is no description of the HML, instead just a diagram is provided followed by a comparison section with RBML and SBML. The text says that two stable storage instances have been consolidated. This implies that the sent message is stored in the stable storage, but this is not shown on the diagram.

The text first says that HML is less complex than RBML and SBML. It then later says that HML is more complex than RBML and SBML.

Finally it says "If you feel comfortable with the additional complexity and have a choice of implementing HML or standard RBML and SBML, you should implement HML". Why should I implement HML? Because it only uses one stable storage? Because writing the RB messages may be faster as they are async? But what about the overall throughput. Is this any faster? Is there more chance of losing messages in transit?
andrew.psaltis (33) [Avatar] Offline
Thank you for your feedback @rachelb, I have added content to help clarify the advantages of HML. They will be available in the next version of the chapter. As mentioned in section 2.3.3, a good reference to learn more of the details behind HTML is Meyer, Rexachs, and Luque’s “Hybrid Message Logging. Combining advantages of Sender-based and Receiver-based Approaches” which is available here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877050914003998
rachelb wrote:This section is really confusing to me (I have no prior knowledge of HML)

There is no description of the HML, instead just a diagram is provided followed by a comparison section with RBML and SBML. The text says that two stable storage instances have been consolidated. This implies that the sent message is stored in the stable storage, but this is not shown on the diagram.

The text first says that HML is less complex than RBML and SBML. It then later says that HML is more complex than RBML and SBML.

Finally it says "If you feel comfortable with the additional complexity and have a choice of implementing HML or standard RBML and SBML, you should implement HML". Why should I implement HML? Because it only uses one stable storage? Because writing the RB messages may be faster as they are async? But what about the overall throughput. Is this any faster? Is there more chance of losing messages in transit?