The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

28527 (2) [Avatar] Offline
You use some baseball analogies for examples, for those of us who do not follow baseball I found one term somewhat confusing -

'sports stats like win/loss record or average number of toes'

What stat does 'toes' represent ?
Andrew Betts (15) [Avatar] Offline
I am pretty sure "average number of toes" is just a joke as some kind of data point that could be used.
28527 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks, I suspected as much after further reading (specifically the comment on zero toes).
281420 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Went to this forum for the same reason. If it's not a joke but some baseball term - you should explain it. Because if you mean "toes" that are fingers on the legs - than 8.5 is quite strange.
Andrew Betts (15) [Avatar] Offline
It is not horribly uncommon for someone to have toes partially for fully amputated for some reason. If you're averaging the number of toes of 20 baseball players it could be possible everyone is missing a toe or two.
15166 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Guys, this is strictly humor.

Your toes are intimately involved in controlling balance while running; a professional athlete missing one or two cannot sprint or pivot at the exalted pace expected of baseball.

Cheers!
rbramley (2) [Avatar] Offline
Agree that it needs clarifying as it's easy to misinterpret it as an obscure stat given the introduction of "such as sports stats like...".

https://www.slideshare.net/ManningBooks/how-do-neural-networks-make-predictions-73138393 qualifies it:
"This network takes in one datapoint at a time (average number of toes -on the players’ feet- on the baseball team)"