ambs (22) [Avatar] Offline
While I understand this is not an introductory book to C++, I find that sometimes some simple things are explained, and some more complex are presented without detail.

I confess I can't follow half of the section 3.1.1. Although not a C++ programmer, I have good knowledge in other languages like C, C#, Perl, from which most concepts can easily be mapped. But, for example, the second line of listing 3.4 is just "magical"... those parenthesis have some meaning that I do not feel as "common" as one might think.

HTH smilie

EDIT: as kind of related, probably it would help to explain the second line of Listing 3.6. -- at least a simple number and explanation bellow, like the others.
Ivan Cukic (99) [Avatar] Offline
The parentheses are a bit magical, I agree. I do think that some kind of additional material could be provided. I'm not sure I'd be allowed to add an appendix to the book to explain some C++ things that I don't consider the part of the main topic, but that might be useful for people who don't know all the features of C++.

At least, I will probably be able to make that an online thing.
clemons (6) [Avatar] Offline
I think at the very least giving a name to the language feature you're using enables the reader to research it on his or her own.
Yes, that is a good "at least" option.
Hans-J. Schmid (16) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Ivan,

will you make additions to the appendix? Some topics have a title but no content. The appendix so far is really great. Brief and helpful discussions of the topics.

Kind regards,
Hans-J.
Hi Hans,

Appendices were never really planned - never a part of ToC. I was thinking to add them to the book if there is any room left.

They were never approved to be put into the MEAP pdf - it was an oversight of the people who prepare MEAPs.

I will probably post them gradually to my blog as a part of my regular C++-related ramblings once the book gets out.
626729 (1) [Avatar] Offline
I think we can use also here a little bit more modern way for type representation:
Instead:
typedef decltype(ask)* function_ptr; 

using function_ptr = decltype(ask)*;

Since this book concerns mostly modern C++. There is advice to use alias over typedef because even if in that particular example they are doing the same. Alias can be templarized what makes it more powerful.
@626729

Yes, of course, using is always preferred to a typedef. The reason I left it with a typedef is to communicate it is a more C thing than a C++ thing, esp. since it is used for the 'evil' variant of the function object - a class that casts to a function pointer.

I'll have to rethink the reasoning when (if) the book gets updated to 2nd edition and to C++2something