37081 (4) [Avatar] Offline
1. There are a lot of unnecessary references to things that have no bearing on the topic at hand, this is distracting, and is in and of itself a type of Procrustean bed.

2. Simple vocabulary is always better, if I have to stop and Google a word to understand its meaning, the concept you were attempting to describe by using such a word has already been lost, or at least degraded.

3. There are a large number of footnotes. These can disrupt the flow of reading, and in my opinion, if you have to use a footnote to explain something you just said, you did not describe it clearly enough in the first place.
227321 (2) [Avatar] Offline
1. There are a lot of unnecessary references to things that have no bearing on the topic at hand, this is distracting, and is in and of itself a type of Procrustean bed.

Being a Nerd/Hacker myself (using Eric Raymond's definition here, I have no interest in breaking and entering other people's computers) this is actually an aspect of the book I like. However, some references need the explanatory footnotes to be understandable, see nr 3.

2. Simple vocabulary is always better, if I have to stop and Google a word to understand its meaning, the concept you were attempting to describe by using such a word has already been lost, or at least degraded.

Again, this depends on the reader, so to become a book for large audiences you are right. The writer does not appear to notice how much he is asking from the readers.

3. There are a large number of footnotes. These can disrupt the flow of reading, and in my opinion, if you have to use a footnote to explain something you just said, you did not describe it clearly enough in the first place.

The major problem I have with the footnotes is their placing. Many of them are more "sidebar discussions" than explanatory footnotes or references to further reading. That coupled with their placement, which is sometimes a page (or even two pages) ahead, makes for annoying searches that disrupts the flow of thought. Perhaps it would work with a physical book, although I would still expect them in the footer of the page that has the reference. As an example, in "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, there is a lengthy footnote with an explanation of the old English monetary system, which has no relevance for the story, but will startle those around you by the laughing it causes. Only by having it on the same page however, can you survive the break in reading the story.

So I must admit I actually like the style, but rather deplore the way it's been typeset.