The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

37081 (4) [Avatar] Offline
Why are the chapters so long? If microservices should be highly focused and constrained to 100 lines of code, chapters should be the same. 10-15 pages of text would be ideal, maybe 20 with diagrams, but that is a stretch. If you have several related topics, group the chapters into sections.

Why is this important? I found myself drifting quite bit while reading the current manuscript, and I think the reason is because there are a lot of topics intermixed together in each chapter. This has the unfortunate side effect of causing a mental context switch without providing an easy stopping point if the reader is not prepared to make that switch. Smaller chapters should alleviate this problem, and they provide a built in mechanism via the index to navigate back to the exact place where a reader is likely to stop.
Richard Rodger (27) [Avatar] Offline
Maybe for the next book smilie

You've given me a perfect example of technical debt btw!