30642 (1) [Avatar] Offline
I was excited when I heard about this book. The first sentence in the description on Manning's site says, "ASP.NET Core is a re-imagining of the .NET Framework that frees developers from Visual Studio and Windows." From the description one would expect the author to show how to develop ASP.NET apps without using Visual Studio and/or Windows. After purchasing the MEAP book I discover that the author says he will use Visual Studio for most examples. This is very disappointing. I only run Linux at home and FreeBSD on my web server. I want examples I can use to develop via the command line and vim.
Andrew Lock (2) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for purchasing the MEAP!

I'm sorry to hear the approach I'm taking with the book doesn't resonate with you. ASP.NET Core and .NET Core are very much designed for multi-platform development, and so your desire to develop at the command line and vim are completely reasonable. The majority of time I spent first exploring ASP.NET Core was at the command line on a Mac, and that experience is only getting better with the recent point releases.

Although I will show examples of how to create new projects with Visual Studio, it is as much just a tool so traditional .NET developers feel comfortable. You can just as easily create projects from the command line, and obviously use your favourite editor. The vast majority of the meat of the book will be code samples, in which there is absolutely no requirement for Visual Studio.

Having said that, if there are places where you feel I have not catered to your setup sufficiently, or that you find yourself confused, do let me know on this forum and I'll do my best to clarify any issues!

Thanks again for reading
Andrew
Code-Chimp (3) [Avatar] Offline
I have been using the early access edition of JetBrains Rider across Windows, MacOS, and Linux and it works pretty well. The main thing I really like over VSCode is the built-in NuGet package manager, it is excellent for searching and adding packages to multi-project solutions. The test runner still needs some work, but with Rider's integrated terminal it is easy to fall back to the command line for anything missing in the beta version of the IDE.

Since Project Rider is coming from the same company that gives us ReSharper I am guessing it will eventually have all of the great performance and refactoring tools some of us are used to with Visual Studio.