The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

428149 (29) [Avatar] Offline
React is a JavaScript library for building user interfaces. [We know this.]

This means, among other things, that
what it does and what it can help you do are mostly related to what users see and use. [We know what a user interface is.]

It’s
meant to help deal with the problem of creating user interfaces. [Obviously.]

React gives you a simple,
intuitive mental to work with as you build user interfaces in a declarative and broadly
functional manner. [A 'mental' is a slang word for 'mental patient'.]

We’ll unpack these terms and much more over the course of the book. [Obviously.]

Please, please cut down the waffle. Don't point out the obvious, and don't say the same thing several times over.
mark (60) [Avatar] Offline
Hi there!
Author here; taking the time to comment! smilie As the writing process progresses, I'm working on streamlining the writing and cutting down on anything unnecessary. I have a more academic writing background, so my tendency is towards clarity and verbosity; working on reducing that wherever possible though for this book! smilie
428149 (29) [Avatar] Offline
383668 wrote:Hi there!
Author here; taking the time to comment! smilie As the writing process progresses, I'm working on streamlining the writing and cutting down on anything unnecessary. I have a more academic writing background, so my tendency is towards clarity and verbosity; working on reducing that wherever possible though for this book! smilie

Academic writing should be clear and succinct, not verbose.

mark (60) [Avatar] Offline
Haha, I guess my use of "verbose" isn't pejorative here and I'm certainly not suggesting academic writing shouldn't be clear. I use it here more along the lines of the way its used in a programming context ("more information"). In any case, currently in the process of cleaning stuff up and making it more succinct, clear. Thanks for commenting! smilie