The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

448383 (4) [Avatar] Offline
I know this isn't a book about Jupyter, but it also claims to be "soup to nuts". I have no experience using Jupyter. I installed it like the introduction said. On page 25, it says to "Open up a Jupyter Notebook and run the following". I was able to find online how to start Jupyter, I created a new notebook, and entered all the code in "In [1]:" but now have no idea how to run it.

A brief introduction to Jupyter would be helpful. For example, was all of the code supposed to go into "In [1]:"? Or does each bit of code go into it's own "In"? Or does it go somewhere else? The book says "The last line prints out the prediction (pred)." Where is this printed?

I decided to create a python file to run the code, and printed out pred. What am I missing by not running the code in Jupyter?
Andrew Trask (Grokking Deep Learning Author) (26) [Avatar] Offline
This is a good idea. Future introduction should include a page on this. Will discuss with my editor.
448784 (4) [Avatar] Offline
What is the point of using Jupyter ? Will it become clear ? So far it seems like overkill when the code is Python, which is a really simple install, where as anaconda / jupyter has been a massive faff and involves the command line interface.... not easy for a newbie ?
477243 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I would also like to state the same confusion. Jupyter seems a bit obscure, even though I have programmed in python quite a bit already.

Also, copy/pasting the code on page 25 picks up the comments (this is what my clipboard contains when I copy/paste the code from the PDF):

weight = 0.1
how we use the network to
predict something
def neural_network(input, weight): number_of_toes = [8.5, 9.5, 10, 9]
prediction = input * weight input = number_of_toes[0]
return prediction pred = neural_network(input,weight)

That obviously will not work in Jupyter or on the python interpreter cli.

Cheers,

Damien
435773 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Honestly, learning how to use Browser-based Jupyter Notebooks is an important skill.
I am working as a traditional data scientist und Jupyter notebooks are the mainstay of our work.