reborg (8) [Avatar] Offline
Hello forum, I thought it was a good idea to introduce myself and make it a little more personal. So hopefully you dare buying the book and you're going through it! smilie

I just want to make sure you also feel comfortable discussing anything that is not clear or surprising about the book in this forum, including if the book meets your expectation or, if not, in which way I can improve it. I literally want this book to be useful and friendly and doing my best to write it as such. I'm also pretty sure there will be problems with this first release and I'm ready to take care of them.

Any other questions, suggestions, bugs, improvements, please shout.
Sincerely,
Renzo Borgatti
@reborg
mingk (5) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Renzo,

I have a question -- since there is only "MEAP eBook" option available for purchase, does it mean that the paper version of the book won't be released?

The content looks very good -- keep up the good work!
mingk wrote:Hi Renzo,

I have a question -- since there is only "MEAP eBook" option available for purchase, does it mean that the paper version of the book won't be released?

The content looks very good -- keep up the good work!

Thanks!

Short answer: there will be a paper book.

Manning is unable to properly price the bundle paper+ebook, since the number of pages is difficult to estimate for this kind of book (depending on current content, pagination and a little bit scope as well). So they decide not to offer the paper book right away. As we get closer to the end the final format for a paper version should be clear and made available.

Renzo
John Hyaduck (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hello Renzo - starting a project migrating legacy python code into a more functional clojure application. I am planning on expanding my toolkit using your promising reference book to save reinventing the wheel. Hopefully I'll be better able to concentrate on the application. Will be in touch as I find useful functions and give feedback as appropriate. John Hyaduck
Hey John,

happy to hear about your experience with the book. Particularly interested to know your current Clojure skills level and how the book could help in the specific task of porting python code. Please keep me (and forums readers) posted!

Thanks
Renzo

John Hyaduck wrote:Hello Renzo - starting a project migrating legacy python code into a more functional clojure application. I am planning on expanding my toolkit using your promising reference book to save reinventing the wheel. Hopefully I'll be better able to concentrate on the application. Will be in touch as I find useful functions and give feedback as appropriate. John Hyaduck
John C Carnell (30) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Renzo,

My name is John Carnell and I am just finishing up the new Manning book Spring Microservices in Action. In addition to my work in Spring/Java I have been writing Clojure code for about 1.5 years. Just wanted to wish well on your book. I got a copy of your book and I have been really enjoying what I have been seeing. The Clojure community has needed a book like this for a while. I just wanted to wish you good luck with this book. There will be times where writing this book will be overwhelming and you will ask the question: "Why the heck did I ever do this too myself?" : ) Stick with it and I will be excited to see when your book gets published in print.

- John
Hey John, thanks for the kind words!

I'm a bit concerned about the amount of material I have to process and the overall length of the book, but I do really enjoy writing it and I'd definitely do it full time if I could smilie Luckily for me, I think the book will stay relevant for some time and clojure.spec is the only thing that might require some additional work at the end.

Glad you enjoyed the book so far, it's getting better and higher quality with time.
Thanks
Renzo

385181 wrote:Hi Renzo,

My name is John Carnell and I am just finishing up the new Manning book Spring Microservices in Action. In addition to my work in Spring/Java I have been writing Clojure code for about 1.5 years. Just wanted to wish well on your book. I got a copy of your book and I have been really enjoying what I have been seeing. The Clojure community has needed a book like this for a while. I just wanted to wish you good luck with this book. There will be times where writing this book will be overwhelming and you will ask the question: "Why the heck did I ever do this too myself?" : ) Stick with it and I will be excited to see when your book gets published in print.

- John
47900 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hello Renzo,

I have a copy of your book. I like it. The table of contents and the first chapters look promising. Could you please include instructions how to set up the development environment, like Leiningen, Eclipse etc.? I know, these are not the standard library, but it is needed for serious development. If you cannot compile and manage projects, then clojure is just a toy.

There are at least a dozen of intros to Leiningen on the web. I have tried a few, all different, none of which worked. I haven't even tried Eclipse.

On the other hand, it was easy for me to set up Eclipse with Scala, it worked OK. I am taking up a new project and deciding between Clojure and Scala.

I have a spreadsheet table in which I compare Clojure to Scala. Does anyone want a copy?

Regards,
Martin Ch.
Hello Martin,

yes, I can add a chapter "Setup Clojure to play with the code" thing at the beginning of the book. I think it's a good suggestion and a relatively small work to produce.

Thanks for your feedback, hope you continue enjoy the book.
Renzo
47900 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hello Renzo,

thank you very much for your effort. Important will be being able to compile the code, produce an executable JAR file, etc. I found it difficult to do. I guess it has also to do with namespaces.

Regrads,
Martin