The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

yoonghm (12) [Avatar] Offline
npm install electron-prebuilt –-save-dev
Should be
npm install electron-prebuilt --save-dev

Newer version of electron suggests
npm install electron --save-dev
Steve Kinney (33) [Avatar] Offline
Great catch! I actually included this in the next MEAP version.
Steve Glaser (2) [Avatar] Offline
You probably already fixed this since it's pretty basic and well publisized, but...

npm WARN deprecated electron-prebuilt@1.4.13: electron-prebuilt has been renamed to electron. For more details, see http://electron.atom.io/blog/2016/08/16/npm-install-electron

npm WARN deprecated minimatch@0.3.0: Please update to minimatch 3.0.2 or higher to avoid a RegExp DoS issue
Steve Kinney (33) [Avatar] Offline
Hey Steve—was that from the book or the code repository?

I should be fixed, but I just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss a place.
Steve Glaser (2) [Avatar] Offline
Now I'm not sure where I was looking. A check now shows nothing wrong other than a few trivial grammar issues (V14, Section 2.1.3, PDF page number 25 / printed page number 21)

... This means that if ??? downloads the project and runs npm install, they will automatically get electron by default.

A Word on electron-prebuilt

As you acclimate yourself into the world of Electron, you may see blog posts, documentation, and even earlier
versions of the this book which refer to the electron-prebuilt package instead of electron. In the past, the former
was the preferred way to install a pre-compiled version of Electron for your operating system. The latter is the new
preferred way. As of early 2017, the electron-prebuilt is no longer supported.