436692 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hello,

I know that this is meap and that only 3 chapters are out so far, and I understand the importance of a good introduction, especially when one must reset good practices to 0-level if a new technology requires to do so.

But I am having a hard time remaining focused on reading: honestly I find the text so far to be too much verbose and repetitive.

No offence intended, just trying to be helpful.

And, by the way, thanks for this opportunity!
Marco S.
357399 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Totally agree. Way too verbose, too many self repeating. I had to skip a lot text to get to essence parts. This book could be 2-3 times shorter.

Thank you.
mark (53) [Avatar] Offline
Hey all!
Author here; thanks for your feedback! This book is still in process and I am definitely working on streamlining everything. By the time the book is done, things will be more to-the-point and the verbosity should be a thing of the past. Know that I am well aware and working to make the book as helpful and readable as possible for everyone smilie

Thanks!

Mark
428149 (29) [Avatar] Offline
>>This book is still in process and I am definitely working on streamlining everything.

My advice would be to get the free chapter sorted out before you do anything else. There are no on-line reviews yet, so this is the only way anyone can judge if it's worth paying for the rest of the book or not.

I was looking for a good React book; however, based on the first chapter (which is largely waffle and padding) I decided to give it a miss (even with a half-price offer). If another sample chapter becomes available, and the quality of writing has improved substantially, I would be prepared to give it another shot.

My experience with Manning books is that the quality is very variable. The editors don't add much value and the proof-reader they use has a very weak grasp of punctuation. Mistakes aren't corrected, even when they are pointed out. So everything hinges on whether the writer is able to demonstrate some level of competence in the sample chapters.
Marina Michaels (45) [Avatar] Offline
428149 wrote:My experience with Manning books is that the quality is very variable. The editors don't add much value and the proof-reader they use has a very weak grasp of punctuation. Mistakes aren't corrected, even when they are pointed out. So everything hinges on whether the writer is able to demonstrate some level of competence in the sample chapters.

Hi, I'm the Developmental Editor for this book. We are open to having mistakes pointed out. You can always comment on something while a book is in MEAP. After the book is in print, you can submit mistakes to the errata thread for the book. (Which is created in the forum once the book is in print.) When the book needs another printing run, we can use the errata list to fix those errors.

During development (that is, during the writing stage), each book is assigned a technical proofer for the code. Once the book is in production, it is copy edited. We don't usually copy edit a book during development because the authors are always revising chapters. (Though we might if the chapters really need it.)

If you've seen mistakes in a specific book that's in print, please report those mistakes to the errata forum for that book. If the book is in MEAP, please post them to the forum.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even though it's a bit negative. We welcome all feedback.

Regards,

Marina Michaels

Marina Michaels wrote:
428149 wrote:My experience with Manning books is that the quality is very variable. The editors don't add much value and the proof-reader they use has a very weak grasp of punctuation. Mistakes aren't corrected, even when they are pointed out. So everything hinges on whether the writer is able to demonstrate some level of competence in the sample chapters.

Hi, I'm the Developmental Editor for this book. We are open to having mistakes pointed out. You can always comment on something while a book is in MEAP. After the book is in print, you can submit mistakes to the errata thread for the book. (Which is created in the forum once the book is in print.) When the book needs another printing run, we can use the errata list to fix those errors.

During development (that is, during the writing stage), each book is assigned a technical proofer for the code. Once the book is in production, it is copy edited. We don't usually copy edit a book during development because the authors are always revising chapters. (Though we might if the chapters really need it.)

If you've seen mistakes in a specific book that's in print, please report those mistakes to the errata forum for that book. If the book is in MEAP, please post them to the forum.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even though it's a bit negative. We welcome all feedback.

Regards,

Marina Michaels

It has been my experience that feedback is ignored or deflected rather than acted upon. I pointed out a series of grammatical mistakes which the proof-reader either missed, or, much more likely, introduced. After several unanswered emails I finally reached an editor, who refused to even look at most of the examples. I had another problem, earlier, when I couldn't even buy books because of a bug in the payment system. After several unanswered emails the problem was finally acknowledged, but never fixed.

Your comment describing my feedback as 'negative' sums up the philosophy at Manning. Criticism and feedback is regarded as 'negative energy' rather than something which a healthy company needs to take in and act upon in order to improve. However, thanks for your suggestion that I should report errors to the errata forum. At least if I post there I won't have to deal with staff who believe that customer service is beneath their dignity.
Oh, gosh, I didn't mean that you were negative; I meant that you sounded unhappy about Manning, which isn't a positive thing from my point of view. I'm not happy that you had a bad experience.

My experience working at Manning is that everyone is dedicated to doing a great job and producing excellent books. But we're all human beings, so sometimes things go wrong. When that happens, we want to fix it and do our best to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Would you be willing to send me a private message and tell me which book and which editor you had this experience with?
Marina Michaels wrote:Oh, gosh, I didn't mean that you were negative; I meant that what you sounded unhappy about Manning, which isn't a positive thing from my point of view. I'm not happy that you had a bad experience.

>>When that happens, we want to fix it and do our best to make sure it doesn't happen again.

If that's the case, why was the bug in the payment system never fixed?

>>Would you be willing to send me a private message and tell me which book and which editor you had this experience with?

Sure. How?
I don't know much about the payment system, though I think I heard last year that something went wrong for a few days. Have you tried it recently? If you have tried, and it still didn't work, I'll find out who you can talk with to get it resolved.

To send a private message, click on my name above my avatar. That takes you to my profile page. There's a button that says, "send a private message to Marina Michaels" (or something like that).
Marina Michaels wrote:I don't know much about the payment system, though I think I heard last year that something went wrong for a few days. Have you tried it recently? If you have tried, and it still didn't work, I'll find out who you can talk with to get it resolved.

To send a private message, click on my name above my avatar. That takes you to my profile page. There's a button that says, "send a private message to Marina Michaels" (or something like that).

The payment system was unable to accept a card which had been renewed. It would reject a card if an existing entry in its database showed the same card but with a previous expiration date. As a result of this, I had to buy several books using an Australian credit card and convert the payment to Australian dollars. The problem lasted for weeks and, as far as I know, was never resolved. I sent follow-up emails to help them to resolve the problem but these were ignored.
428149 wrote:The payment system was unable to accept a card which had been renewed. It would reject a card if an existing entry in its database showed the same card but with a previous expiration date. As a result of this, I had to buy several books using an Australian credit card and convert the payment to Australian dollars. The problem lasted for weeks and, as far as I know, was never resolved. I sent follow-up emails to help them to resolve the problem but these were ignored.

That sounds like a terrible experience. We switched to a new platform late last fall; maybe that fixed the problem? I'll find out who would handle this sort of thing and I'll point them to your post so they can contact you directly.
Marina Michaels wrote:
428149 wrote:The payment system was unable to accept a card which had been renewed. It would reject a card if an existing entry in its database showed the same card but with a previous expiration date. As a result of this, I had to buy several books using an Australian credit card and convert the payment to Australian dollars. The problem lasted for weeks and, as far as I know, was never resolved. I sent follow-up emails to help them to resolve the problem but these were ignored.

That sounds like a terrible experience. We switched to a new platform late last fall; maybe that fixed the problem? I'll find out who would handle this sort of thing and I'll point them to your post so they can contact you directly.

It's probably the new system that's to blame because these problems happened in the past three months. At one stage somebody removed my old card details from the system. This temporarily solved the problem and demonstrated that old card details were, in fact, the underlying issue. However, when I tried to buy another book, the problem came back. Your system needs to have a mechanism for permanently deleting the details of expired cards or an update to the code so that old card details don't cause a conflict.