The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

419593 (17) [Avatar] Offline
When checking the types described in Listing 15.1 on my system I discovered a mismatch in the type of spawn.

• - Listing 15.1 mentions a type being spawn : (process : IO ()) -> IO (Maybe PID)
    - My instance of Idris Version 0.12.3 returns the type

• *AdderChannel> :doc spawn
    System.Concurrency.Channels.spawn : (process : IO ()) -> IO PID
        Spawn a process in a new thread, returning the process ID

The function is Total

As a result the rest of the listings in chapter 15 have the same mismatch as does the accompanying source files.

{Edit}
    In hindsight it seems obvious, but it looks like this is a Idris-0.12.3 specific issue which has already been solved in the source code, See: Idris GitHub - Fix 'spawn' to return Maybe PID
    Edwin Brady (66) [Avatar] Offline
    Ah, sorry, this is a correction I've recently made to spawn following a comment made by a reviewer, and I expected the release of Idris (which is imminent) to beat the release of the updated chapter. Spawn really needs to return Maybe PID because spawning a process could fail if there's not enough resources.

There'll be a new release of Idris in the next day or so which fixes this.
    419593 (17) [Avatar] Offline
    Nice. I will update to the new release when its available.

As a side-note. I bumped into this issue because I am stepping through chapter 15 line by line as it seems to ramp-up in difficulty a bit to much for me (an old C programmer). To many new things going on a the same time. Loving it tough. Can't wait to get my hands dirty, taking it for a spin.