435096 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi

I have read the first (free example) chapter of your book and I liked it a lot. You put effort in explaining how Sails.js works to a novice like myself. The tutorial is very friendly, understandable and does not throw a heap of tech buzzwords at a novice wanna be web developer.

That said, i have only one remark. You "assume a fair bit of knowledge with JavaScript" and "be familiar with the DOM, HTML" is the line that hooked me to start reading your book. I am not a web developer and yet I have learned a bit of JavaScript as a full-fledged programming language, not as some scripting to provide tricks on a web page.

The problem is when you start explaining things making parallels of Sails.js with jQuery in attempt to make more clear how Sails.js works. In the welcome note, if you have assumed a fair bit of knowledge with jQuery, I would have quickly skipped to the next book available that would try to teach me Sails.js with only JavaScript knowledge and if there was non I would skip to some other framework that maybe has such a book.

I am simply suggesting that, the way you teach suitable for as broad audience as can be, it is probably bast if you make parallels with JavaScript not with jQuery. Although the examples in chapter 1 are easy to understand just by looking at the code, it is intimidating to think that in the following chapters there are maybe some jQuery examples that would make a man fetch a jQuery book to cross reference your cross reference. From what i have read so far those jQuery examples can be replaced by just as simple one line JavaScript examples.

JavaScript is a programming language, jQuery is just a library. So please make things simple, why not just use JavaScript?

Thanks.

Joshua Chavanne (1) [Avatar] Offline
JQuery while 'just' a library provides a lot of 'sugar' for many types of activities one does with the DOM (Document Object Model). I believe the parallel that the authors are articulating is that Sails provides a framework of many libraries bundled together to make things quick and easy to do using Javascript. JQuery is not the only solution for manipulating the DOM, and Sails isn't the only framework for making web-applications with Node.js, but both provide a suite of tools that make development that much easier should one choose to use said tools. Sails has a lot of great features, and makes it so one doesn't have to reinvent the wheel. But at the end of the day JQuery and Sails code is all Javascript under the hood, and whether one should 'pick up a book on JQuery' or not is the choice of the reader, but when I was coming up the API Documentation for JQuery on their site was more than enough. Sails however being such a robust framework lends much more to this tutorial / documenting style in this book.
435096 (2) [Avatar] Offline
JQuery is out of scope for a book about Sails.js

As JQuery goes out of scope itself, it will force a book of totally unrelated matter (Sails.js) to go out of scope.

It's bad practice to explain something with something else that you haven't explained. The book assumed "a fair bit of knowledge with JavaScript" and then what a surprise, examples in JQuery.

It's safe to assume that there are a number of people who use JavaScript for general programming (like: Pascal, LISP, C++, Python, Rust) not just kids who change properties of buttons and images on web sites.

Maybe now it's a bit early for this conversation. Well see in a couple of years... JavaScript will stay, JQuery will go away.

Unless Sails.js was also planned to be "this year c00l kid" and nothing more.