The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

carlosaortiz (28) [Avatar] Offline
I read the introduction and the table of contents. I ask you if it is suitable to include Google Cloud Platform as well as Heroku to the mix for deploying Spring Microservices to these platforms.

Why not are they included?

Do you have any plans to use Docker to the mix as well as Kubernetes?
John Carnell (26) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Carlos,

I picked AWS because the its the largest and most established cloud provider. (Its also what I work with on a regular basis) I am still up in the air about Pivotal. However, the other platforms are fine platforms (I have built stuff of Heroku before).

Actually, all of the services and examples I write is built and deployed as docker containers. All the services in the book can be found at the john-carnell/tmx-*. I purposely chose Docker so I can stay cloud agnostic and deploy to whatever platform I choose. My plan was at the end of the book was to take all the services and infrastructure I built and deploy them via Docker to AWS and another platform.

I did not touch on Kubernetes because I did not want the book to drift too far into becoming a Docker/container book. I love these technologies, but there are boatload of options to chose from and I have to scope things smilie.

Thanks,
John
carlosaortiz (28) [Avatar] Offline
Thank you John. You are right. I like now your aproach, by using Docker you are indeed Cloud agnostic, good point, and sure you have to focus in some cloud platform for the sake of exemplification and scope things. It is up to us to learn the part of the pieces where we need them to. I mean for me the GCP and Heroku bits.

Thanks
John Carnell (26) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Carlos,

No problem. Its a challenge because I want to get into some of these other container orchestration technologies too. I am at conference today and got a chance to see RedHat's OpenShift container using docker and Kubernetes. Its pretty cool. Hope you like the rest of the book and please do not hesitate to share more feedback.

Thanks,
John