The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

419014 (1) [Avatar] Offline
The author never really answered the "Why It's relevant to Microservices". Instead he mostly explained "How easy it's to implement Microservices with Spring Boot/Cloud".

For example: Why is Spring more RELEVANT than other Java/JVM framework or tookits, to implement Microservices.
John Carnell (26) [Avatar] Offline
Hey thanks for the comment.

I will add it to the log and see how I can work it back into the book material. Its late (I am an early morning writer) at night for me but here are a couple of thoughts:

1. Spring proper has become the dominant framework out there for doing Java middle tier developer. There are plenty of other microservice frameworks out there and many of them are very good. (I like DropWizard). The reason why I think Spring Boot is so relevant to other microservice tools is not only the great framework support for writing REST-based services, but also its Spring Cloud sub-project. Having had to do straight up integration with many of the projects in the Netflix Open Source family, I was blown by how much Spring Cloud has made it to operationalize your microservices.

2. Operationalizing your microservices so that problems can be detected quickly and then routed around is a huge bonus in microservice development. While other frameworks can integrate with the things like Hystrix and Eureka, Spring Cloud really makes it simple.

3. I have had to write microservices in several languages. My current team supports microservices in Spring Boot, Go and Clojure. While Clojure is personally one of my favorite languages to develop in. Spring Boot combined with Spring Cloud makes me life simple. Go as a microservice development language is pretty good, but it does not have the depth of open source and third-party library support that Spring Boot/Spring Cloud has.

4. Use what works in your organization. My intent is not to say convince everyone that Spring Boot/Spring Cloud are the best tools for developing microservices. Rather you need to look at what your team is going to be the most productive in and then leverage that technology accordingly. I work in business unit that has dozens of development teams writing microservices in Spring Boot, Clojure, Go, Javascript and Python. All of these technologies work great within their teams and I think because we did not force anybody to one particular platform, the products we build are stronger as a result of it.

Sorry if my comments are a little disjointed, but like I said I will use your feedback and see if I can work it into first chapter.

Thanks,
John
114813 (1) [Avatar] Offline
I am reading the draft of chapter 1 and I see the title of section 1.2 being "Why is Spring and is irrelevant to microservices." Don't you mean "Why is Spring relevant to microservices" instead like the title of this thread.
John Carnell (26) [Avatar] Offline
Well,

That certainly is not right. I spit out my soda when I read your post. I double checked the manuscript and it not the way in my manuscript, so I suspect someone goofed along the way of editing smilie. I'll make sure it gets cleaned up.

Thanks,
John Carnell