The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Hans-J. Schmid (16) [Avatar] Offline
As far as I could understand there are monad transformers used in this chapter behind the scenes. Is there some good background information about it?

Side notes: I like this chapter very much as it builds up section by section. It's very systematic, pedagogical and motivating as the whole book actually. It was also a good idea to outsource the Effects library as there is already a great tutorial on the internet.

Kind regards!
Edwin Brady (66) [Avatar] Offline
There's a monad transformer behind the scenes in the first State example, but I decided not to go into any depth on that because the next couple of chapters build on very different ideas - tracking state changes in types - where monad transformers don't work so well, in my experience at least.

This is a reasonable brief introduction, which includes the State transformer specifically: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Haskell/Monad_transformers