jfs.world (117) [Avatar] Offline
It seems that, just going through chapter 1 and 6 so far (but given that it appears in 2 chapters, I'd be sure to make sure it doesn't repeat in other chapters as well) "Experiment" is misspelt as "Experiement". It's a minor thing, but... thought to point it out.

About the logical error: "Experiment: caesar.go" in chapter 6 says
Handle negative shifts when c < 'a' by adding 26. Do the same for upper case characters.

That was a bit of a surprise to me, given that we've been talking about adding 13 so far. So why should we be expecting a negative shift? If your point is to "try using -13 instead of +13", then you should make that point clear. Otherwise, this is an error and you should ask the reader to handle overflows (should you call it that or use that term though? hm... Admittedly, "positive shift" doesn't cut it).
Nathan Youngman (56) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,
Thanks for writing.

I did a search of my manuscript for the incorrect spelling of Experiment and didn't find it, so perhaps I caught it too at some point. The next update to Learn Go should be out tomorrow or later this week.

Handle negative shifts when `c < 'a'` by adding 26.

This step is really just preparation for the next task to "Decipher the quote from Julius Caesar". I made a note that I should try to clarify the wording before the September update of Learn Go.

Nathan.
jfs.world (117) [Avatar] Offline
I did a search of my manuscript for the incorrect spelling of Experiment and didn't find it, so perhaps I caught it too at some point. The next update to Learn Go should be out tomorrow or later this week.

Thank you, Nathan. I've been looking at the downloadable chapters, and the most recent version (v7) still has this (see, for example https://manning-content.s3.amazonaws.com/download/3/06c318a-cb5c-4d1c-9342-fa4f5fc6421c/Youngman_LearnGo_MEAP_V07_ch1.pdf, on the last page ('Experiement: playground.go'))

This step is really just preparation for the next task to "Decipher the quote from Julius Caesar". I made a note that I should try to clarify the wording before the September update of Learn Go.

I see. Thanks for clarifying!
Strangely enough, that typo is in the PDFs but not in the epub, mobi, or the manuscript files I'm writing. I've informed the publisher so we can get it fixed up for the next release.

Thanks for reporting the error.

Nathan.
hi jfs,

Regarding the Julius Caesar exercise, I've combined the two steps, which should make the motivation clear.

Decipher the quote from Julius Caesar at the beginning of this section by shifting uppercase and lowercase letters by -3. Remember that 'a' becomes 'x', 'b' becomes 'y', and 'c' becomes 'z' and likewise for uppercase letters.

Thank you,
Nathan.