ajoslin103 (64) [Avatar] Offline
I look forward to this book, and am considering buying a MEAP copy - but I can't tell if the Espruino is included in it.

The [currently available] Espruino and the [newly kickstarted] Puck are the only MC's that I am aware of that actually boot into a javascript environment.

If you've not tried the Espruino (esp the Pico) then you're really missing out on javascript on the MC...

Al;

http://www.espruino.com/Pico
Jonlor (1) [Avatar] Offline
Cool! I'd never heard of either of those projects before. The Puck looks really neat. The one I've been following for a while is Tessel (https://tessel.io/)
I've played w/the Tessel -- it's actually running OpenWRT and executing the JS on top of that. Not that there's anything inherently wrong w/that -- but it's not pure, so then it all comes down to the modules. And I can get the one's I need as Arduino shields... So maybe I'll try that Firmat/Jonny5 thing..

There's something about Pico that just makes me happy to work with it !!

I had trouble with Tessel software for the ambient sensor right off the bat, turns out you can not use streams and triggers at the same time -- and the github repo is not being updated. But I know it took forever for them to get the Tessel2 out the door and I'm hoping to see some work on the software soon...

I have a project I need to build and I had been counting on the Tessel for it -- I wanted an ethernet connection rather than wi-fi -- but this crashing thing is a problem...

I'll have to make a decision soon... maybe Tessel will fix the software - or I'll follow the build for Ethernet on the Pico or throw my old smaller Arduino at it...
Lyza Gardner (11) [Avatar] Offline
ajoslin103 wrote:I look forward to this book, and am considering buying a MEAP copy - but I can't tell if the Espruino is included in it.

The [currently available] Espruino and the [newly kickstarted] Puck are the only MC's that I am aware of that actually boot into a javascript environment.

If you've not tried the Espruino (esp the Pico) then you're really missing out on javascript on the MC...

Al;

http://www.espruino.com/Pico

Hi! Yes, Espruino will be covered in the book. There will be, however, deeper coverage of the Tessel 2 if that sways you in any way smilie.
Jonlor wrote:Cool! I'd never heard of either of those projects before. The Puck looks really neat. The one I've been following for a while is Tessel (https://tessel.io/)

The Tessel 2 is a fantastic introductory platform for those new to electronics or those with experience in JavaScript. It's becoming one of the platforms of choice for nodebots and other community groups.
Thank you for the clarification.

Actually the bits on running JS on the Aurduino (via Johnny5?) are more interesting to me

The Tessel is too modular-centric for my tastes, unless you are planning on covering individual usage of it's pins I'll skip that part.

I've had good luck running the tinyMQTT,js package on the Pico, and I'm looking forward to attempting to send results thru mqtt.io to a mongoLab db

Count me in, I'm buying my copy now!

Thanks,
Al;
ajoslin103 wrote:Thank you for the clarification.

Actually the bits on running JS on the Aurduino (via Johnny5?) are more interesting to me

The Tessel is too modular-centric for my tastes, unless you are planning on covering individual usage of it's pins I'll skip that part.

I've had good luck running the tinyMQTT,js package on the Pico, and I'm looking forward to attempting to send results thru mqtt.io to a mongoLab db

Count me in, I'm buying my copy now!

Thanks,
Al;

Sweet! The Tessel isn't as "modular" as it might appear at first, and Johnny-Five runs most excellently on it, meaning you can basically "port" circuits and projects between platforms, which I feel really excited about. Can't wait to tell you more in the book...