62110 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Steve,

I really enjoyed the first two chapters so far. They were well written and for me they were better than the standard Electron documentation right now, though I'm not criticizing that documentation. I just thought that chapter 2 especially was a good introduction to the practical aspects of using Electron in a project.

That being said, I would encourage you, to the degree that it is within your power, to release additional chapters as soon as you can. I realize that the finished product is not due until next year, but as a MEAP customer with an active Electron app underway that I plan on using in production, I will immediately read anything that you put out. In addition, I can then make another pull request to have your book added to Awesome Electron. My first PR was rejected due to there only being two chapters written.

Thanks.
Steve Kinney (33) [Avatar] Offline
Hi, thanks for the kind words!

Chapters 3 and 4 are with the technical editor and should be out soon.

Chapters 5 and 6 are with the development editors (who is reading for structure and content) this week. I'll then revise them and they'll go to the technical editor.

I'm working on Chapters 7 and 8 now and plan to have first drafts done in the next week or so, which will then go to the development editor and the technical editor.

After Chapter 8—which is the end of the first application we build in the book—I'm going to go back and polish the flow. Sometimes, when I'm writing a later chapter, I realize that I should have done something earlier. When you're writing code, you just go and make the adjustment. When you're writing however, you have to pretty much go back in time and make believe you did it in the first place. So, I'm going to replay though the chapters and make sure it all flows.

My goal is to have about half the book written by the end of second week of August!

Thanks for reading and thanks for your patience!

—Steve