Rohit (7) [Avatar] Offline
is it rxjs or
Mark Elston (126) [Avatar] Offline
Along the same lines, since we are going to focus on Java/Android a section on how to set up the project to use the framework and follow along with the code would be very helpful.
Andre Artus (7) [Avatar] Offline
In reply to Mark Elston, unless the official website's installation directions are insufficient to the task I, for one, do not need to see it in every book touching on a framework or tool. It is at best redundant, and more often than not outdated by the time of publishing.

Rather spend that time adding value elsewhere.
@Andre, I don't disagree but the other side of the issue is that those of us who may not have any experience with the framework have to go somewhere else and "learn" what we need before coming back to the book. It is a bit disruptive. It may be unavoidable, though. At the very least I would suggest pointers/links to the information (on the web) that help us get set up and running so we can get back to the book quickly.
@Mark, we all tend to look at things from our own perspective: for me it seems like a waste of space and effort, but I assume it is more likely for the average reader to complain its absence than the contrary. I have found value when the installation has configuration requirements that could warrant explanation, but for the most part those are covered on the website.

I've subsequently checked out the ReactiveUI website, and while most .NET developers would know to do a search on nuget I would nonetheless agree that in this case, at least, the official documentation is somewhat lacking in this department.
Ah. If all we are talking about is Nuget then just a mention of the package should be sufficient. I thought there might be more involved. I have run into many such descriptions where I had to go off and learn (at least the basics of) a new tool or framework before I can get into the meat of what the book/blog/etc. was trying to describe. And doing so on my own without any pointers is frustrating as it can take a lot of time and involve learning things that aren't really relevant to the topic at hand.

But you are right. If this is just adding a Nuget package then make mention of the package and be done with it.
I decided to check the MEAP so far and it seems the platform(s) and frameworks under discussion are predominantly Android, Java 8 Streams, and RxJava.
This book covers neither RxJS nor ReactiveUI(the .NET library). I seem to have wandered off the garden path by virtue of Rohit's comment. Problem with buying 14 books on basically one topic, most of them some form of early access, is remembering which is which.

I know that RxJava does not require any annotation processing ( but I don't know what other libraries are going to be referenced) so it's simply a "compile" dependency in Gradle, or equivalent in Maven or Ant.

Seems from the current MEAP that the book is more broadly a treatment of ReactiveX (RxJava as specific framework) than of Reactive UI (although it is touched upon), I don't really see FRP..
Yeah, my face is a bit red too. I failed to look back at the MEAP to remind myself what my specific question was. It would appear that this is more than a simple Nuget reference but probably not *much* more assuming it is a gradle dependency. When the next version comes out I will have to go over the previous chapters again just to see exactly what the author covered and what wasn't covered.
@Mark, I was thinking to myself that I could not recall buying a book on ReactiveUI, better check.

In any case the book/book description isn't really upfront with the details of framework and platform, and the book does not cover Java 8 Streams beyond stating the same on page 9.

It mentions FRP all over the place, including the title, but seems to conflate FRP with ReactiveX, I don't see a definition of Functional Reactive Programming, and how it differs from other reactive approaches (i.e. ReactiveX), maybe it's buzzword compliant.