Vince P. (1) [Avatar] Offline
In the book, there is reference to keeping the MEAP up to date with new Kotlin features. I'm hoping this means that the changes for 1.1 will be addressed as well.
Even though version 1.0 is out, Kotlin is continuing to evolve, so we’ll ensure that the information in the MEAP book always corresponds to the current state of the language.

What made me think about this is the new roadmap that was published in InfoQ today: https://www.infoq.com/news/2016/06/kotlin-11-roadmap

Will the MEAP include all future Kotlin language changes or just the v1.X changes? I'm just wondering how far that will carry until the book branches off into a new volume.

Thank you!
Dmitry Jemerov (39) [Avatar] Offline
Right now it looks like we'll be able to send the book for publishing significantly sooner than the design of Kotlin 1.1 is finalized. If this will indeed be the case, we will not cover the new features of Kotlin 1.1 in the book; instead, they will be covered in online documentation.

If the book ends up delayed for some reason, then we will of course cover the features in released versions of Kotlin up to the point when the book is sent to publication.
422107 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Let me just add my $0.02...

I totally understand wanting to publish sooner rather than later. That said, I think that coroutines, and asynchronous programming more generally has the potential to be a truly significant language feature. It has the potential to wrap up the CSP/Erlang/Go value proposition, in a way that doesn't force one to buy into a entire new ecosystem, and a brand new set of language design smilie

Personally, I really appreciate a printed book, especially for a subject of this level of depth. Speaking for myself, I'd be more than happy to wait a little longer, if it meant having a good treatment of coroutiens/async programming in printed form.

But hey, if I need to print out that chapter later and stick it in a binder, I'll live. After all, I survived for years with the "no silver bullet" essay tucked into my copy of the Mythical Man-Month.

Keep up the great work. I'm rooting for Kotlin!

Cheers,
Bill
http://jovial.com/
Johnny N. (3) [Avatar] Offline
Dmitry Jemerov wrote:Right now it looks like we'll be able to send the book for publishing significantly sooner than the design of Kotlin 1.1 is finalized. If this will indeed be the case, we will not cover the new features of Kotlin 1.1 in the book; instead, they will be covered in online documentation.

If the book ends up delayed for some reason, then we will of course cover the features in released versions of Kotlin up to the point when the book is sent to publication.

Kotlin in Action as of now is set for publication by March. So by "significantly" sooner, do you mean a month? Two, three months? Depending on how long it would take, I feel like many people wouldn't mind having their book delayed to include new features instead of having their book exclude features of Kotlin 1.1 so soon after publication. Sucks to have a book feel a bit outdated not too long after they receive it in the mail.
Dmitry Jemerov (39) [Avatar] Offline
First of all, this is to a large degree the publisher's decision. The publisher decided to release the book as soon as possible, and to not exceed the page count stated in the initial contract (which is roughly the current size of the book). Fully covering 1.1 features would require at least one large new chapter (more if we decided to cover JavaScript), so it wouldn't be possible to stay within the page count.

As for how long the delay would be, the final text of "Kotlin in Action" is already done; the final e-book will be available for purchase in a few days. On the other side, the kotlinx.coroutines library, which is a key part of the Kotlin 1.1 coroutines story, is actively being worked on right now. Assuming that kotlinx.coroutines gets more or less stable by the end of February, we'd need 1.5-2 months from that point to write the new material, and if you add the review, proofreading and other processes on the publisher side, you're looking at June or July. So the delay would definitely be much more than 2-3 months.